Brian has 30 years of experience with Power Stations before branching out into training. He has worked in a coal fired plant up to 350MW and all Auxiliary Power Station Plant. As a Shift Charge Engineer, besides being responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the Units he was responsible for training Unit Operators to become Technician Engineers. In this new role the staff became responsible for the Permit System, HV Switching & Emergency Procedures.
Brian’s Industry career achievements
Eon/Powergen TXu Drakelow Power Station Drakelow Power station was a coal fired Power Station operating
2 x 350 MW Assisted Circulation Boiler/Units and 1 x 350 MW Supercritical Pressure Once through Boiler/Unit
- During unit outage joined Mechanical Maintenance where he was responsible for the Condenser/Feed Range repairs & Budget.
Eastern Electricity Drakelow Power Station
- Responsible for the introduction of computer based refresher training for PF Codes of Practice including liaison with outside agencies.
- In charge of Operations staff rotas and training of operators on the supercritical unit.
- Being responsible for the mill ball budget, saved costs by utilising high chrome second hand mill balls rather than new cast steel ones.
CEGB Drakelow Power Station
- Responsible for investigation into the total compressed air supply to the station and the replacement of the reciprocating compressors with up to date screw type compressors along with associated oil separating and drying equipment.
After the closure of Drakelow, Brian went on to become involved in providing Operations training at various locations including Operations simulator training on a 500MW unit simulator (Coal Fired). He was also part of a team to develop operations training for Flue Gas De-Sulphurisation Plant (Limestone/Gypsum Process). In addition he has carried out auditing of Safety Rules and associated documentation.