VIRTUAL INSTRUCTOR LED TRAINING (VILT)
GRID-TIED PHOTOVOLTAIC SYSTEMS IN A NET-METERING CONTEXT
21 - 23 JUNE 2021 | 3 half-day training, 5 hours per session, total 15 hours
About The Course
This course will provide an in depth explanation and analysis of Grid-tied Photovoltaic Systems (PV) and Net-metering. The course will begin with an overview of the current types of PV Systems and their applications, with a focus on the benefits for Utilities. There will also be discussions on the advantages of the various types of PV systems for different players including commercial and industrial players in the context of Net Metering programs. The course will also address Net-metering policy options and case studies from various regions in the United States.
The course will cover topics, including: Grid tied photovoltaic system, Types – PV without storage PV with storage, Accepted and Inappropriate Equipment, Anti-Islanding, Grid-following VS Grid Forming, Interconnections for BTM and IFM, Disconnecting Options, Utility Requirements, Client Options – Revenue generation – Non-exporting and Micro-grids.
SGD 3,299 / USD 2,408 for 3 days
SGD 3,499 / USD 2,554 for 3 days
This course will allow participants to gain practical and theoretical knowledge about Grid-tied Photovoltaic Systems with a focus on Net Metering and current examples of the various approaches.
Participants in this course will upon completion of this course, be able to:
- Define & explain how Grid tied photovoltaic systems operate and the benefits of these systems
- Describe and Identify Accepted Equipment and Inappropriate Equipment
- Describe types of Interconnections
- Distinguish BTM from IFM Systems
- Recommend policies for creating Net Metering programs
- Explain the physical requirements for monitoring Net Metering systems
- Relate options for Clients participation in Net Metering programs
- Work within the changing RE Landscape
- Anticipate actions for working with Rising RE market penetration to the Utility grid
- Define and rank the goals for creating successful PV Net Metering programs
- Create the optimal policy and implementation for PV Net Metering programs
Who Should Attend
Any personnel desiring a good understanding of Grid-tied Photovoltaic Systems in a Net-metering Context
- Government policy makers
- Utility Administrators and Engineers
- Energy Project developers and administrators
- Project managers
- Renewable Energy Industry Participants and Advocates
Expert Course Faculty
Our trainer is the CEO of Great Northern Solar and is a NABCEP certified Photovoltaic Installation Professional. He has been an instructor with the Midwest Renewable Energy Institute since 1993 Teaching advanced Photovoltaic (PV) design and installation and is an IREC Certified Master Trainer (TM) in Photovoltaic Technologies. He was the primary curriculum developer for the MREI Photovoltaic courses at the Institutes inception.
A strong advocate for clean energy production, he volunteers with the Midwest Renewable Energy Association, the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (board of directors member 2004-2014, Chair of the Nominations Committee-current) and with the Northern Futures Foundation.
The trainer has been designing, specifying, installing and operating Battery based Solar Electric systems (PV) for over 30 years. He has lived “off-Grid” for over 26 years where he runs his business Great Northern Solar.
He has been training contractors, administrators and officials in the operation of PV systems including those employing storage for over 26 years. In the last 5 years he has been investigating and developing trainings for the application of energy storage in commercial and other large applications.
With the development of Lithium Ion and other advanced battery technologies he has begun to consult and present trainings in battery design and deployment for the commercial market.
In 2016, he developed a hands-on seminar for retrofitting a LiOn storage and energy arbitrage system for a commercial building in Duluth Minnesota. The Hartley Solar Storage Retrofit Seminar walked participants through the design and implementation of the advanced storage system to provide for building resiliency and peak demand load shaving as well and potential other ancillary services for the Hartley Nature Center and Minnesota Power – the site Utility.
This small prototype is beta-testing Energy Arbitrage software that allows the client to choose several operational modes for cost reduction and resiliency.
Most recently, he presented “Energy Storage into Renewable Energy Systems” for the North Central Electrical League in the Minneapolis/Saint Paul area of Minnesota.
TOPICS TO BE COVERED
Grid-tied Photovoltaic Systems : Types & Design
Accepted and Inappropriate Equipment
One-line diagrams (BTM, IFM)
Net-metering: Policy options
Adapting to the Renewable Energy landscape
Case Studies from different regions in the United States
This training course will be conducted as a Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT). Delegates will receive a confirmation email after successful registration.
Soft copy course materials & Certification of Completion will be provided to registered participants.
Unique Features with powerEDGE Training
- Pre-Course Questionnaire (PCQ) to help us focus on your learning objectives
- Detailed course & reference manual for continuous learning and sharing
- Practical exercises & case examples to better understand the principles
- Limited class size to ensure one-to-one interactivity
- Assessment at the end of the course to help you develop a personal action plan