VIRTUAL INSTRUCTOR LED TRAINING (VILT)
HEAT RATE OPTIMIZATION OF COAL POWER PLANTS
13 - 17 DECEMBER 2021 | 5 half-day training, 4 hours per session, total 20 hours
About The Course
This 5 half-day virtual course provides a detailed description of all the methods used to reduce the heat rate (increase the efficiency) of pulverized coal and circulating fluidized bed (CFB) coal power plants. All the processes, operational and maintenance activities, capital projects, technical options, potential initiatives and incentives to implement upgrades/repairs for increasing the plant efficiency will be covered in detail.
This course will also provide in-depth explanation of all the equipment and systems used in coal power plants. This includes boilers, superheaters, reheaters, turbines, condensers, feedwater heaters, deaerators, pumps, compressors, fans, electric generators, instrumentation and control systems, and governing systems, etc. All the factors which affect the power plant efficiency and emissions will be explained thoroughly.
All the methods used to calculate the heat rate of the power plant will be covered in detail. All the areas in pulverized coal and circulating fluidized bed (CFB) power plants where efficiency loss can occur will be explained too. This course will also provide updated information in respect to the following methods used to improve the power plant heat rate:
- Optimizing the combustion process and sootblowing
- Controlling the steam temperature
- Recovering moisture from boiler flue gas
- Performing steam turbine maintenance
- Lowering condenser back pressure
- Pre-drying high moisture coal and reducing stack temperature
SGD 3,099 or USD 2,262 for 5 half-days per participant
SGD 3,299 or USD 2,408 for 5 half-days per participant
- Calculate the Heat Rate of Coal Power Plants: Learn all the methods used to calculate the heat rate of coal power plants
- Calculate the Efficiency of Every Equipment in Coal Power Plants: Discover how to calculate the efficiency of every equipment in the power plant
- Benefits of Lowering the Heat Rate of Coal Power Plants: Understand all the benefits of lowering the heat rate of coal power plants
- Methods Used to Improve Coal Power Plants Heat Rate: Gain a thorough understanding of all the methods used to improve the heat rate of coal power plants.
- Processes, Operational and Maintenance Activities: Discover all the processes, operational and maintenance activities used to improve the heat rate of coal power plants
- Capital Projects Used to Improve the Heat Rate: Learn about all the capital projects used to improve the heat rate of coal power plants
- Technical Options for Improving the Heat Rate: Understand all the technical options used to improve the heat rate of coal power plants
- Potential Initiatives and Incentives to Implement Upgrades/Repairs for Improving the Heat Rate: Discover all the potential initiatives and incentives to implement upgrades/repairs for improving the heat rate of coal power plants
- Factors Affecting Coal Power Plant Efficiency and Emissions: Learn about all the factors which affect coal power plants efficiency and emissions
- Areas in Pulverized Coal and Circulating Fluidized Bed Power Plants where Efficiency Loss Can Occur: Discover all the areas in pulverized coal and circulating fluidized bed power plants where efficiency loss can occur
- Optimize the Operation of Coal Power Plant Equipment and Systems to Improve the Plant Heat Rate: Understand all the techniques and methods used to optimize the operation of coal power plant equipment and systems to improve the plant heat rate
- Coal Power Plant Equipment and Systems: Learn about various coal power plant equipment and systems including: boilers, superheaters, reheaters, steam turbines, governing systems, deaerators, feedwater heaters, coal-handling equipment, transformers, generators and auxiliaries
Who Should Attend
- Engineers of all disciplines
- Maintenance personnel
- Other technical individuals
Expert Course Faculty
Your specialist course leader has more than 32 years of practical engineering experience with Ontario Power Generation (OPG), one of the largest electric utility in North America. He was previously involved in research on power generation equipment with Atomic Energy of Canada Limited at their Chalk River and Whiteshell Nuclear Research Laboratories.
While working at OPG, he acted as a Training Manager, Engineering Supervisor, System Responsible Engineer and Design Engineer. During the period of time, he worked as a Field Engineer and Design Engineer, he was responsible for the operation, maintenance, diagnostics, and testing of gas turbines, steam turbines, generators, motors, transformers, inverters, valves, pumps, compressors, instrumentation and control systems. Further, his responsibilities included designing, engineering, diagnosing equipment problems and recommending solutions to repair deficiencies and improve system performance, supervising engineers, setting up preventive maintenance programs, writing Operating and Design Manuals, and commissioning new equipment.
Later, he worked as the manager of a section dedicated to providing training for the staff at the power stations. The training provided by him covered in detail the various equipment and systems used in power stations.
In addition, he has taught courses and seminars to more than four thousand working engineers and professionals around the world, specifically Europe and North America. He has been consistently ranked as “Excellent” or “Very Good” by the delegates who attended his seminars and lectures.
He written 5 books for working engineers from which 3 have been published by McGraw-Hill, New York. Below is a list of the books authored by him;
- Power Generation Handbook: Gas Turbines, Steam Power Plants, Co-generation, and Combined Cycles, second edition, (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York
- Electrical Equipment Handbook (600 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York
- Power Plant Equipment Operation and Maintenance Guide (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York
- Industrial Instrumentation and Modern Control Systems (400 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing
- Industrial Equipment (600 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing
Furthermore, he has received the following awards:
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by PowerEdge, Singapore, in December 2016
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by the Professional Development Center at University of Toronto (May, 1996).
- The “Excellence in Teaching Award” in April 2007 offered by TUV Akademie (TUV Akademie is one of the largest Professional Development centre in world, it is based in Germany and the United Arab Emirates, and provides engineering training to engineers and managers across Europe and the Middle East).
- Awarded graduation “With Distinction” from Dalhousie University when completed Bachelor of Engineering degree (1983).
Lastly, he was awarded his Bachelor of Engineering Degree “with distinction” from Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. He also received a Master of Applied Science in Engineering (M.A.Sc.) from the University of Ottawa, Canada. He is also a member of the Association of Professional Engineers in the province of Ontario, Canada.
TESTIMONIAL FROM PAST PARTICIPANTS
“The training is very beneficial and helped me to understand the heat rate, even as an Electrical Engineer. I can understand the improvement of heat rate in power plant operation.”
– Power Plant General Supervisor, Coral Bay Nickel Corporation
“The course was useful and provides fundamentals for heat rate improvements.”
– Vice President (Engineering Projects), Meralco PowerGen Corporation
“As a new technical person, I have learnt a lot about the operation of power plant and it provides me with areas that I can look for when evaluating the performance of power plant.”
– Chief Financial Officer, Jimah East Power
This training course will be conducted as a Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT). Delegates will receive a confirmation email after successful registration.
Soft copy course materials & Certification of Completion will be provided to registered participants.
Unique Features with powerEDGE Training
- Pre-Course Questionnaire (PCQ) to help us focus on your learning objectives
- Detailed course & reference manual for continuous learning and sharing
- Practical exercises & case examples to better understand the principles
- Limited class size to ensure one-to-one interactivity
- Assessment at the end of the course to help you develop a personal action plan