VIRTUAL INSTRUCTOR LED TRAINING (VILT)
16 - 20 AUGUST 2021 | 5 half-day training, 4 hours per session (total 20 hours)
About The Course
This course provides a comprehensive understanding of the various types of rotating equipment including centrifugal pumps, centrifugal and axial compressors, and motors. The focus in this course is on maximizing the efficiency, reliability, and longevity of this equipment by providing an understanding of the characteristics, selection criteria, common problems and repair techniques, preventive and predictive maintenance.
This course is a MUST for anyone who is involved in the selection, applications, or maintenance of rotating equipment because it covers how this equipment operates, the latest maintenance techniques, and provides guidelines and rules that ensure the successful operation of this equipment. In addition, this course will cover in detail the basic design, operating characteristics, specification, selection criteria, advanced fault detection techniques, critical components and all preventive and predictive maintenance methods in order to increase reliability of the equipment and reduce the operation and maintenance cost.
This course provides the following information for all rotating equipment:
- Basic Design
- Selection Criteria
- Sizing Calculations
- Enclosures and Sealing Arrangements
- Codes and Standards
- Common Operational Problems
- All Diagnostics, Troubleshooting, Testing, and Maintenance
SGD 3,099 / USD 2,262 for 5 half-days, per participant
SGD 3,299 / USD 2,408 for 5 half-days, per participant
- Equipment Operation: Gain a thorough understanding of the operating characteristics of rotating equipment
- Equipment Diagnostics and Inspection: Learn in detail all the diagnostic techniques and inspections required for critical components of rotating equipment
- Equipment Testing: Understand thoroughly all the tests required for the various types of rotating equipment
- Equipment Maintenance and Troubleshooting: Determine all the maintenance and troubleshooting activities required to minimize the downtime and operating cost of rotating equipment
- Equipment Repair and Refurbishment: Gain a detailed understanding of the various methods used to repair and refurbish rotating equipment
- Efficiency, Reliability, and Longevity: Learn the various methods used to maximize the efficiency, reliability, and longevity of rotating equipment
- Equipment Sizing: Gain a detailed understanding of all the calculations and sizing techniques used for rotating equipment
- Design Features: Understand all the design features that improve the efficiency and reliability of rotating equipment
- Equipment Selection: Learn how to select rotating equipment by using the performance characteristics and selection criteria that you will learn in this course
- Equipment Enclosures and Sealing Methods Learn about the various types of enclosures and sealing arrangements used for rotating equipment
- Equipment Commissioning: Understand all the commissioning requirements for rotating equipment
- Equipment Codes and Standards: Learn all the codes and standards applicable for rotating equipment
- Equipment Causes and Modes of Failure: Understand the causes and modes of failure of rotating equipment
- System Design: Learn all the requirements for designing different types of rotating equipment
Who Should Attend
- Engineers of all disciplines
- Maintenance personnel
- Other technical individuals
Expert Course Faculty
Your specialist course leader has more than 32 years of practical engineering experience with Ontario Power Generation (OPG), one of the largest electric utility in North America. He was previously involved in research on power generation equipment with Atomic Energy of Canada Limited at their Chalk River and Whiteshell Nuclear Research Laboratories.
While working at OPG, he acted as a Training Manager, Engineering Supervisor, System Responsible Engineer and Design Engineer. During the period of time, he worked as a Field Engineer and Design Engineer, he was responsible for the operation, maintenance, diagnostics, and testing of gas turbines, steam turbines, generators, motors, transformers, inverters, valves, pumps, compressors, instrumentation and control systems. Further, his responsibilities included designing, engineering, diagnosing equipment problems and recommending solutions to repair deficiencies and improve system performance, supervising engineers, setting up preventive maintenance programs, writing Operating and Design Manuals, and commissioning new equipment.
Later, he worked as the manager of a section dedicated to providing training for the staff at the power stations. The training provided by him covered in detail the various equipment and systems used in power stations.
In addition, he has taught courses and seminars to more than four thousand working engineers and professionals around the world, specifically Europe and North America. He has been consistently ranked as “Excellent” or “Very Good” by the delegates who attended his seminars and lectures.
He written 5 books for working engineers from which 3 have been published by McGraw-Hill, New York. Below is a list of the books authored by him;
- Power Generation Handbook: Gas Turbines, Steam Power Plants, Co-generation, and Combined Cycles, second edition, (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, October 2011.
- Electrical Equipment Handbook (600 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, March 2003.
- Power Plant Equipment Operation and Maintenance Guide (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, January 2012.
- Industrial Instrumentation and Modern Control Systems (400 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999)
- Industrial Equipment (600 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
Furthermore, he has received the following awards:
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by PowerEdge, Singapore, in December 2016
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by the Professional Development Center at University of Toronto (May, 1996).
- The “Excellence in Teaching Award” in April 2007 offered by TUV Akademie (TUV Akademie is one of the largest Professional Development centre in world,it is based in Germany and the United Arab Emirates, and provides engineering training to engineers and managers across Europe and the Middle East).
- Awarded graduation “With Distinction” from Dalhousie University when completed Bachelor of Engineering degree (1983).
Lastly, he was awarded his Bachelor of Engineering Degree “with distinction” from Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. He also received a Master of Applied Science in Engineering (M.A.Sc.) from the University of Ottawa, Canada. He is also a member of the Association of Professional Engineers in the province of Ontario, Canada.
TOPICS TO BE COVERED
Pump categories, Centrifugal Pumps, Vibration Analysis and Predictive Maintenance
Pump Maintenance, Inspection, Overhaul, Diagnoses of Pump Troubles, Troubleshooting of Pumps, Pump Selection
Centrifugal and Axial Compressors, Dynamic Compressors Performance, Centrifugal Compressors – Components, Performance Characteristics, Balancing, Surge Prevention Systems and Testing
Compressor Choking and Anti-Choking Systems, Surge Limit, Stonewall, Prevention of Surge, Anti-Surge Control Systems, Compressor Seals, Compressor System Calculations
Induction Motors, Speed Control of Induction Motors, Maintenance of Motors, Variable Speed Drives
This training course will be conducted as a Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT). Delegates will receive a confirmation email after successful registration.
Soft copy course materials & Certification of Completion will be provided to registered participants.
Unique Features with powerEDGE Training
- Pre-Course Questionnaire (PCQ) to help us focus on your learning objectives
- Detailed course & reference manual for continuous learning and sharing
- Practical exercises & case examples to better understand the principles
- Limited class size to ensure one-to-one interactivity
- Assessment at the end of the course to help you develop a personal action plan