VIRTUAL INSTRUCTOR LED TRAINING (VILT)
COAL MINING FUNDAMENTALS
20 - 22 SEPTEMBER 2021 | 3 half-day training, 4 hours per session (total 12 hours)
About the Course
The coal industry remains an integral part of the international energy mix and is vital to the developing economies of SE Asia. It is likely to remain so for the foreseeable future, and the business is rapidly changing to meet the respective challenges of domestic and international demand for affordable energy, and a low emissions future. This course covers the industry in detail from exploration through to utilisation, providing real life examples wherever possible, and interactive class-based tuition. The program is designed to have the flexibility to address specific target audience needs and still provide a broad educational experience to those interested in a more general viewpoint.
SGD 2,400 / USD 1,752 for 3 half-days, per participant
SGD 2,600 / USD 1,898 for 3 half-days, per participant
- Understand the historical development of coal and the peculiarities of the SE Asian scene relative to the international experience
- Understand the key parameters that make or break a coal project
- Learn the essential science behind coal
- Understand the relationship between water and gas in coal and the implications
- Understand mining methods, and why one type may be more suitable than another
- Learn the practical aspects of mine management and pit logistics
- Understand the impact and the character of different layers of minerals in a deposit
- Grasp the physical constraints that affect drilling, and the pros and cons of each method
- Comprehend the practicalities of material handling with coal, and the holistic pit to port (mind to harbor) system
- Learn what greenhouse emissions and a warming world mean for the coal industry
- Comprehend the differences between resources and reserves and the requirements to move resources to reserves
- Understand the basic economic drivers behind coal projects
- Learn how to undertake due diligence on a coal project
- Participate in practical discussions and exercises that enhance practical understanding
Who Should Attend
The course is generally applicable to anyone who would like to understand more about coal, including mining engineers, geologists, administrators, executives, potentials investors in coal projects, and financial analysts. The course is designed to be particularly accessible to young professionals, and those who may already have a different background and wish to understand more about this important international resource.
Expert Course Faculty
He is a geologist with over 40 years’ experience in the coal mining and energy industries. He has held leadership roles in industry and has worked as a consultant to the Coal Bed Methane (CBM) and coal mining industry for the past 20 years. He has been a Managing Director of a leading directional drilling service and technology supply company, and a Research Leader in coal seam gas associated with a major Australian CRC.
He is a Managing Director of CoalBed Energy Consultants which provides project management, technical services, business development, due diligence, and consulting services in coal mining, CBM (CSG), Coal Mine Methane (CMM), drilling, fugitive emissions and related areas. CoalBed counts in its client list all of the major mining companies in Australia, and many CBM players. He and his son have developed popular training courses in Coal Mining Fundamentals, CBM Fundamentals, CBM production and completion, and drilling which have been delivered to a range of clients in Australia and overseas.
He has worked in most of the major coal seam gas basins throughout the world, and assisted with technology transfer of advanced directional drilling technology into emerging markets such as China, India, South Africa, Central-Asia and Easter Europe. Recent related experience includes developing projects in Indonesia, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, South America and Southern Africa.
He is the author of a number of papers that have been published in a range of journals and proceedings, and was also a co-recipient of the prestigious Stefanko Award for best paper at the 2007 SME Conference in Denver, CO, USA for a paper titled “A Petroleum Industry Approach to Coal Mine Drainage”.
He holds a BSc in Geology from the University of Newcastle, an MSc in Geology from the University of New England and an MBA from Deakin University. He is a member of the Geological Society of Australia and the Society of Petroleum Engineers.
TESTIMONIALS FROM PAST PARTICIPANTS
“I found this training very good for anybody who wants a working knowledge on Coal” – Commercial Director, Thailand Anthracite
“The Coal Mining Fundamentals course provides basic coal mining knowledge that is useful for my current job position.” – Finance Business Partner, Sarawak Energy Berhad
This training course will be conducted as a Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT). Delegates will receive a confirmation email after successful registration.
Soft copy course materials & Certification of Completion will be provided to registered participants.
Unique Features with powerEDGE Training
• Pre-Course Questionnaire to help us focus on your learning objectives
• Detailed Course & Reference Manual for Continuous Learning and Sharing
• Practical Exercises & Case Examples to better understand the principles
• Limited class size to ensure One-to-One Interactivity
• Assessment at the end of the course to help you develop a Personal Action Plan