VIRTUAL INSTRUCTOR LED TRAINING (VILT)
ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING FOR NON-ELECTRICAL ENGINEERS
5 - 9 APRIL 2021 | 5 half-day sessions, 4 hours per session (total 20 hours)
About The Course
This course is for individuals who would like to gain a thorough understanding of all the principles of electrical engineering in a simple and easy to grasp format. This course will cover all disciplines of electrical engineering including alternating current systems, direct current systems, magnetism, power equipment, switchgear, and protective equipment without relying on complex mathematics.
This course is a MUST for any individual seeking an in-depth knowledge of all the principles, and practices of electrical engineering as well as electrical equipment or an electrical engineer who would like to refresh and enhance their understanding of electrical equipment. This course will be taught in an easy to understand manner by demonstrating practical examples of applied electrical engineering through illustrated case studies. This course will also provide a comprehensive understanding of the operation and maintenance of all essential electrical equipment including the various types of transformers, inverters, rectifiers, motors, variable frequency drives, uninterruptible power systems, generators, circuit breakers, and fuses.
The course will cover how electrical equipment operates, the latest maintenance techniques, and provides guidelines and rules that ensure the successful operation of this equipment. The delegates will learn how to select and size all electrical equipment. They will also learn how to specify the main maintenance activities required for all electrical equipment. In addition, the course will cover thoroughly all the safety concepts associated with electrical equipment.
This course will provide the following information for all electrical equipment:
- Basic Design
- Selection Criteria
- Sizing Calculations
- Enclosures and Sealing Arrangements
- Codes and Standards
- All Testing, and Maintenance
SGD 3,099 / USD 2,262 for 5 days
SGD 3,299 / USD 2,408 for 5 days
- Equipment Operation: Gain an understanding of the operating characteristics of all electrical equipment
- Equipment Diagnostics and Inspection: Learn in detail all the diagnostic techniques and inspections required of critical components of electrical equipment.
- Equipment Testing: Understand thoroughly all the tests required for the various types of electrical equipment
- Equipment Maintenance and Troubleshooting: Determine all the maintenance and troubleshooting activities required to minimize electrical equipment downtime and operating cost
- Equipment Sizing: Gain a detailed understanding of all the calculations and sizing techniques used for all electrical equipment
- Equipment Selection: Learn how to select electrical equipment by using the performance characteristics and selection criteria that you will learn in this seminar
- Equipment Enclosures and Sealing Methods Learn about the various types of enclosures and sealing arrangements used for electrical equipment
- Equipment Codes and Standards: Learn all the codes and standards applicable for electrical equipment
Who Should Attend
- Engineers of all disciplines
- Maintenance personnel
- Other technical individuals (this course is suitable for individuals who do not have an electrical background)
Expert Course Faculty
Your specialist course leader has more than 32 years of practical engineering experience with Ontario Power Generation (OPG), one of the largest electric utility in North America. He was previously involved in research on power generation equipment with Atomic Energy of Canada Limited at their Chalk River and Whiteshell Nuclear Research Laboratories.
While working at OPG, he acted as a Training Manager, Engineering Supervisor, System Responsible Engineer and Design Engineer. During the period of time, he worked as a Field Engineer and Design Engineer, he was responsible for the operation, maintenance, diagnostics, and testing of gas turbines, steam turbines, generators, motors, transformers, inverters, valves, pumps, compressors, instrumentation and control systems. Further, his responsibilities included designing, engineering, diagnosing equipment problems and recommending solutions to repair deficiencies and improve system performance, supervising engineers, setting up preventive maintenance programs, writing Operating and Design Manuals, and commissioning new equipment.
Later, he worked as the manager of a section dedicated to providing training for the staff at the power stations. The training provided by him covered in detail the various equipment and systems used in power stations.
In addition, he has taught courses and seminars to more than four thousand working engineers and professionals around the world, specifically Europe and North America. He has been consistently ranked as “Excellent” or “Very Good” by the delegates who attended his seminars and lectures.
He written 5 books for working engineers from which 3 have been published by McGraw-Hill, New York. Below is a list of the books authored by him;
- Power Generation Handbook: Gas Turbines, Steam Power Plants, Co-generation, and Combined Cycles, second edition, (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, October 2011.
- Electrical Equipment Handbook (600 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, March 2003.
- Power Plant Equipment Operation and Maintenance Guide (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, January 2012.
- Industrial Instrumentation and Modern Control Systems (400 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
- Industrial Equipment (600 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
Furthermore, he has received the following awards:
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by PowerEdge, Singapore, in December 2016
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by the Professional Development Center at University of Toronto (May, 1996).
- The “Excellence in Teaching Award” in April 2007 offered by TUV Akademie (TUV Akademie is one of the largest Professional Development centre in world, it is based in Germany and the United Arab Emirates, and provides engineering training to engineers and managers across Europe and the Middle East).
- Awarded graduation “With Distinction” from Dalhousie University when completed Bachelor of Engineering degree (1983).
Lastly, he was awarded his Bachelor of Engineering Degree “with distinction” from Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. He also received a Master of Applied Science in Engineering (M.A.Sc.) from the University of Ottawa, Canada. He is also a member of the Association of Professional Engineers in the province of Ontario, Canada.
TOPICS TO BE COVERED
Fundamentals of Electrical Systems and Transformers
AC Machine Fundamentals, Induction Motors, Speed Control of Induction Motors
Maintenance of Motors, Power Electronics, Rectifiers and Pulse-Width Modulation Inverters, Variable Speed Drives, Uninterruptible Power Systems, Maintenance of Industrial Batteries
Synchronous Machines, Synchronous Generators, Generator Components, Auxiliaries and Excitation, Generator Main Connections, Performance and Operation of Generators
Generator Surveillance and Testing, Generator Inspection and Maintenance, Circuit Breakers, Fuses, Bearings and Lubrication, Used Oil Analysis, Vibration Analysis, Power Station Electrical Systems and Design Requirements, Power Station Protective Systems, Frequently Asked Questions
This training course will be conducted as a Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT). Delegates will receive a confirmation email after successful registration.
Soft copy course materials & Certification of Completion will be provided to registered participants.
Unique Features with powerEDGE Training
- Pre-Course Questionnaire (PCQ) to help us focus on your learning objectives
- Detailed course & reference manual for continuous learning and sharing
- Practical exercises & case examples to better understand the principles
- Limited class size to ensure one-to-one interactivity
- Assessment at the end of the course to help you develop a personal action plan