VIRTUAL INSTRUCTOR LED TRAINING (VILT)
COST & FINANCIAL ANALYSIS FOR ENERGY STORAGE AND RENEWABLE ENERGY
23 - 27 AUGUST 2021 | 5 half-day training, 4 hours per session (total 20 hours)
About The Course
This course will work through analysis of different renewable technologies including LCOE, pricing for renewable energy projects, resource analysis and financing. The course will be hands-on where participants take turns sharing the screen and demonstrate how you can construct renewable analysis and evaluate materials that incorporate a variety of economic and financing issues. The course put emphasis on practical techniques with current data and covers batteries as well as corporate PPA’s.
SGD 2,550 / USD 1,861 for 5 half-days, per participant
SGD 2,750 / USD 2,007 for 5 half-days, per participant
- Incorporate energy storage and battery analysis in analysis of renewable energy from an energy storage perspective and from an ancillary service point of view.
- Learn practical tools to analyse renewable energy including efficient tools to work with wind, hydro and solar data; creating flexible scenario and sensitivity analysis to evaluate resource risk, construction risk, O&M risk and debt structuring; developing techniques to resolve circular references related to funding debt and sculpting debt without copy and paste macros.
- Understand the implications of project finance features in the context of renewable energy (sculpting, debt funding, debt size, DSCR, DSRA, debt tenor, re-financing) on costs and equity returns from renewable energy.
- Develop efficient ways to quickly compute the levelised electricity cost of different technologies using carrying charge factors and alternative financial models.
- Work through resource assessments and compute probability of achieving different levels of production (P90, P75 etc.) using hands-on exercises for different types of projects in order to effectively review consulting studies.
- Create flexible and transparent financial models of renewable energy from A-Z that incorporate resource risk, financing structure, tax treatments, alternative pricing policies and other factors.
- Evaluate the economics of renewable energy (including ancillary services) in the context of merchant markets and review the structure of corporate PPA contracts.
Who Should Attend
- Corporate planning
- Investment analyst
- Corporate/project finance
- Business development
- Infrastructure advisory
- Heads of businesses
- Utility Companies (Power, IPP, etc.)
- Banks and finance companies
- Government ministries and departments
- Power equipment manufacturers
- International finance institutions
Expert Course Faculty
Our key course expert provides financial and economic consulting services to a variety of clients, he teaches professional development courses in an assortment of modelling topics (project finance, M&A, and energy). He is passionate about teaching in Africa, South America, Asia and Europe. Many of the unique analytical concepts and modelling techniques he has developed have arisen from discussion with participants in his courses. He has taught customized courses for MIT’s Sloan Business School, Bank Paribas, Shell Oil, Society General, General Electric, HSBC, GDF Suez, Citibank, CIMB, Lind Lakers, Saudi Aramco and many other energy and industrial clients. His consulting activities include developing complex project finance, corporate and simulation models, providing expert testimony on financial and economic issues before energy regulatory agencies, and advisory services to support merger and acquisition projects.
Our key course expert has written a textbook titled Corporate and Project Finance Modelling, Theory and Practice published by Wiley Finance. The book introduces unique modelling techniques that address many complex issues that are not typically used by even the most experienced financial analysts. For example, it describes how to build user-defined functions to solve circular logic without cumbersome copy and paste macros; how to write function that derives the ratio of EV/EBITDA accounting for asset life, historical growth, taxes, return on investment, and cost of capital; and how to efficiently solve many project finance issues related to debt structuring. He is in the process of writing a second book that describes a series of valuation and analytical mistakes made in finance. This book uses many case studies from Harvard Business School that were thought to represent effective business strategies and later turned into valuation nightmares.
Over the course of his career our key course expert has been involved in formulating significant government policy related to electricity deregulation; he has prepared models and analyses for many clients around the world; he has evaluated energy purchasing decisions for many corporations; and, he has provided advice on corporate strategy. His projects include development of a biomass plant, analysis and advisory work for purchase of electricity generation, distribution and transmission assets by the City of Chicago, formulation of rate policy for major metro systems and street lighting networks, advocacy testimony on behalf of low income consumers, risk analysis for toll roads, and evaluation of solar and wind projects. He has constructed many advisory analyses for project finance and merger and acquisition transactions.
Lastly, our key course expert was formerly Vice President at the First National Bank of Chicago where he directed analysis of energy loans and also created financial modelling techniques used in advisory projects. He received an MBA specializing in econometrics (with honours) from the University of Chicago and a BSc in Finance from the University of Illinois (with highest university honours).
TOPICS TO BE COVERED
Definition of Terms, Renewable Cost Drivers, Levelised Cost of Electricity
Review of Cost, Capacity Factors and Pricing Structures for Alternative Renewable Technologies, and Build-up of Project Finance Model
Overview of Project Finance, Cost of Capital and Pricing Contracts for Renewable Energy
Valuation and Project Finance Modelling for Renewable Projects
Corporate PPAs, Re-Financing, Biomass and Geothermal Issues
This training course will be conducted as a Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT). Delegates will receive a confirmation email after successful registration.
Soft copy course materials & Certification of Completion will be provided to registered participants.
Unique Features with powerEDGE Training
- Pre-Course Questionnaire (PCQ) to help us focus on your learning objectives
- Detailed course & reference manual for continuous learning and sharing
- Practical exercises & case examples to better understand the principles
- Limited class size to ensure one-to-one interactivity
- Assessment at the end of the course to help you develop a personal action plan