VIRTUAL INSTRUCTOR LED TRAINING (VILT)
WATER CHEMISTRY FOR THERMAL POWER STATION PLANT CHEMISTS AND BOILER ENGINEERS
19 - 22 APRIL 2021 | 4 half-day training, 4 hours per session (total 16 hours)
About The Course
This is an advanced chemistry training course for power plant chemists and boiler engineers wishing to expand their knowledge and skills, and to become more effective in their day to day roles dealing with thermal power plant chemistry.
The course will provide ample opportunity for robust technical discussion and expand on advanced concepts in thermal power plant cycle chemistry. The course focuses only on the steam/ water aspects of the thermal power cycle.
This course is a must for all power plant chemists and boiler engineers. It is also beneficial for anyone involved in power plant operation and maintenance because it provides guidelines and rules for improving power plant performance and reliability.
SGD 3,000 / USD 2,190 for 4 half-days, per participant
SGD 3,200 / USD 2,336 for 4 half-days, per participant
The following are the learning outcomes of this course:
- Gain a significant increase in understanding of cycle chemistry in steam power plants and the inter-relationships between plant operation, cycle chemistry and potential failure modes due to corrosion and/or deposition throughout the cycle
- Gain a thorough understanding of all causes of corrosion in a steam power plant and all the methods used to reduce the corrosion rate in a steam power plant
- Become better equipped to effectively manage the corrosion and deposition risks in a thermal power plant
- Learn how to reduce failure rate in boilers and steam power plants and improve plant performance
- Understand condensate polishing and treatment of condensate return to industrial boilers
- Discover the causes of boiler water contamination and treatment programs
- Learn about layup and offline corrosion protection
- Understand water chemistry limits to prevent steam contamination by carryover
- Learn about boiler water chemistry guidelines and control of steam chemistry
- Understand high-purity make-up treatment methods
- Perform demineralizer calculations
- Perform system design calculations
- Gain a thorough understanding of mixed bed polishing and reverse osmosis
Who Should Attend
- Power Plant Chemists
- Boiler Engineers
- Engineers involved in the operation and maintenance of power plants
- Maintenance personnel
- Other technical individuals (this course is suitable for individuals who do not have a background in chemical engineering)
Expert Course Faculty
Your specialist course leader has more than 32 years of practical engineering experience with Ontario Power Generation (OPG), one of the largest electric utility in North America. He was previously involved in research on power generation equipment with Atomic Energy of Canada Limited at their Chalk River and Whiteshell Nuclear Research Laboratories.
While working at OPG, he acted as a Training Manager, Engineering Supervisor, System Responsible Engineer and Design Engineer. During the period of time, he worked as a Field Engineer and Design Engineer, he was responsible for the operation, maintenance, diagnostics, and testing of gas turbines, steam turbines, generators, motors, transformers, inverters, valves, pumps, compressors, instrumentation and control systems. Further, his responsibilities included designing, engineering, diagnosing equipment problems and recommending solutions to repair deficiencies and improve system performance, supervising engineers, setting up preventive maintenance programs, writing Operating and Design Manuals, and commissioning new equipment.
Later, he worked as the manager of a section dedicated to providing training for the staff at the power stations. The training provided by him covered in detail the various equipment and systems used in power stations.
In addition, he has taught courses and seminars to more than four thousand working engineers and professionals around the world, specifically Europe and North America. He has been consistently ranked as “Excellent” or “Very Good” by the delegates who attended his seminars and lectures.
He written 5 books for working engineers from which 3 have been published by McGraw-Hill, New York. Below is a list of the books authored by him;
- Power Generation Handbook: Gas Turbines, Steam Power Plants, Co-generation, and Combined Cycles, second edition, (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, October 2011.
- Electrical Equipment Handbook (600 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, March 2003.
- Power Plant Equipment Operation and Maintenance Guide (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, January 2012.
- Industrial Instrumentation and Modern Control Systems (400 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
- Industrial Equipment (600 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
Furthermore, he has received the following awards:
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by PowerEdge, Singapore, in December 2016
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by the Professional Development Center at University of Toronto (May, 1996).
- The “Excellence in Teaching Award” in April 2007 offered by TUV Akademie (TUV Akademie is one of the largest Professional Development centre in world, it is based in Germany and the United Arab Emirates, and provides engineering training to engineers and managers across Europe and the Middle East).
- Awarded graduation “With Distinction” from Dalhousie University when completed Bachelor of Engineering degree (1983).
Lastly, he was awarded his Bachelor of Engineering Degree “with distinction” from Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. He also received a Master of Applied Science in Engineering (M.A.Sc.) from the University of Ottawa, Canada. He is also a member of the Association of Professional Engineers in the province of Ontario, Canada.
TOPICS TO BE COVERED
Steam Generation Water Chemistry Systems
Condensate Feedwater Chemistry
Boiler Water Chemistry
High-Purity Makeup Water Treatment
This training course will be conducted as a Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT). Delegates will receive a confirmation email after successful registration.
Soft copy course materials & Certification of Completion will be provided to registered participants.
Unique Features with powerEDGE Training
- Pre-Course Questionnaire (PCQ) to help us focus on your learning objectives
- Detailed course & reference manual for continuous learning and sharing
- Practical exercises & case examples to better understand the principles
- Limited class size to ensure one-to-one interactivity
- Assessment at the end of the course to help you develop a personal action plan