VIRTUAL INSTRUCTOR LED TRAINING (VILT)
UTILITY & COMMUNITY SCALE ENERGY STORAGE (U&CES) SYSTEMS
18 - 21 JANUARY 2021 | 4 half-day training, 5 hours per session, total 20 hours
About The Course
This course will provide a detailed analysis of Utility and Community Scale Energy Storage (U&CES) Systems. Beginning with an overview of the current available technologies the course will present the elements of U&CES with a focus on the benefits to Utilities as well as the advantages of energy storage for Commercial and Industrial energy users.
Issues to be covered include: Storage system design, battery applications, component specification and installation, integration of storage with Renewable Energy (RE) systems, multiple presentations of specific manufacturers of storage systems, O&M issues, available industry resources for ongoing education and the development of individual projects.
SGD 3,499 / USD 2,554 for 4 days
SGD 3,699 / USD 2,700 for 4 days
This course will allow participants to gain practical and theoretical knowledge about U&CES systems with a focus on real-world applications and current working examples of the various technologies.
Participants in this course will upon completion of this course, be able to:
- Define & explain how Utility and Community Scale Energy Storage (U&CES) operates and the benefits of these systems.
- Describe and identify components and specifications of a U&CES system
- Identify the best application and limitations of each system type
- Calculate U&CES system costs
- Describe financial benefits of U&CES systems
- Correctly size a U&CES system
- Recommend a U&CES system type to meet a Utility administrator’s or business owner’s goals
- Identify and describe different U&CES system types, their storage capabilities and the systems
- Explain data analysis, connection scheme, control algorithm and power system study for U&CES
- Explain and safety issues with U&CES system
- Define commissioning, operation and maintenance procedures for U&CES systems
- Demonstrate proper safety procedures when installing a U&CES systems
- Explain various policy, methodologies and utility-sided business model for implementation of U&CES systems
Who Should Attend
- Project developers and administrators
- Project managers
- Government policy makers
Expert Course Faculty
Our trainer is the CEO of Great Northern Solar and is a NABCEP certified Photovoltaic Installation Professional. He has been an instructor with the Midwest Renewable Energy Institute since 1993 Teaching advanced Photovoltaic (PV) design and installation and is an IREC Certified Master Trainer (TM) in Photovoltaic Technologies. He was the primary curriculum developer for the MREI Photovoltaic courses at the Institutes inception.
A strong advocate for clean energy production, he volunteers with the Midwest Renewable Energy Association, the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (board of directors member 2004-2014, Chair of the Nominations Committee-current) and with the Northern Futures Foundation.
The trainer has been designing, specifying, installing and operating Battery based Solar Electric systems (PV) for over 30 years. He has lived “off-Grid” for over 26 years where he runs his business Great Northern Solar.
He has been training contractors, administrators and officials in the operation of PV systems including those employing storage for over 26 years. In the last 5 years he has been investigating and developing trainings for the application of energy storage in commercial and other large applications.
With the development of Lithium Ion and other advanced battery technologies he has begun to consult and present trainings in battery design and deployment for the commercial market.
In 2016, he developed a hands-on seminar for retrofitting a LiOn storage and energy arbitrage system for a commercial building in Duluth Minnesota. The Hartley Solar Storage Retrofit Seminar walked participants through the design and implementation of the advanced storage system to provide for building resiliency and peak demand load shaving as well and potential other ancillary services for the Hartley Nature Center and Minnesota Power – the site Utility.
This small prototype is beta-testing Energy Arbitrage software that allows the client to choose several operational modes for cost reduction and resiliency.
Most recently, he presented “Energy Storage into Renewable Energy Systems” for the North Central Electrical League in the Minneapolis/Saint Paul area of Minnesota.
TESTIMONIALS FROM PAST PARTICIPANTS
“This course provides a good basic understanding of the energy storage business.” – Senior Vice President, Sembcorp Utilities Pte Ltd
“Well thought out course that enables the participants to know what to look out for in the design & implementation process of the U&CES, and the right questions to ask to vendors.” – Executive, Tenaga Nasional Berhad
“PowerEdge never disappoints when it comes to providing training in the Power & Energy industry. Thank you!” – Executive Engineer, Single Buyer Unit
“The ESS course I attended is one of the best short courses I have ever attended. The course is well mixed with theory, practice, and future outlook. The instructors came from the other side of the world, bringing us fresh perspectives, culture, and market experience.” – Senior Manager, Sembcorp Cogen Pte Ltd
“Very comprehensive coverage of the field of ESS, backed up with experiences and case studies.” – Senior Technology Analyst, Sembcorp Industries Ltd
This training course will be conducted as a Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT). Delegates will receive a confirmation email after successful registration.
Soft copy course materials & Certification of Completion will be provided to registered participants.
Unique Features with powerEDGE Training
- Pre-Course Questionnaire (PCQ) to help us focus on your learning objectives
- Detailed course & reference manual for continuous learning and sharing
- Practical exercises & case examples to better understand the principles
- Limited class size to ensure one-to-one interactivity
- Assessment at the end of the course to help you develop a personal action plan