VIRTUAL INSTRUCTOR LED TRAINING (VILT)
ULTRA SUPERCRITICAL POWER PLANTS
3 - 6 MAY 2021 | 4 half-day training, 4 hours per session (total 16 hours)
About The Course
This course will cover all aspects of ultra supercritical steam power plants and advanced ultra supercritical power plants. These plants have achieved a net electrical efficiency of 50%. This efficiency is significantly higher than the efficiency of conventional power plants which is around 33%. This indicates that ultra supercritical power plants burn 50% less fuel than conventional power plants to produce the same amount of power. The ultra supercritical power plants burn coal and biomass. The environmental emissions of these plants are significantly lower than conventional power plants. Some ultra supercritical power plants employ carbon capture technology. This makes them more environmentally friendly than any other type of power plants. They also have higher reliability and lower capital, operation and maintenance cost than conventional power plants. Large number of ultra supercritical power plants are being built around the world today. China will be installing more than 100,000 MW of ultra supercritical power plants and advanced ultra supercritical power plants during this decade. Several countries around the world have embarked on a program to replace their conventional coal power plants with ultra supercritical power plants due to their high efficiency, and reliability and low capital, operation and maintenance cost. Ultra supercritical power plants provide significant economical and environmental advantage over any other type of conventional power plants.
This course will cover in detail all the components of ultra supercritical steam power plants including steam turbines, boilers, furnace, burners, economizers, reheaters, superheaters, feedwater heaters, valves, carbon capture equipment, instrumentation, control systems, fuel handling systems and generators. This course will also cover the design, selection considerations, operation, common problems and solutions, maintenance, pay-back period, and economics of ultra supercritical and advanced ultra supercritical power plants in detail. This course will provide in-depth coverage of the emission control methods, carbon capture technology, reliability, economics, monitoring and governing systems of ultra supercritical and advanced ultra supercritical power plants. This course will cover up-dated information in respect to all the significant improvements that have been made to these power generating plants during the last decade.
SGD 3,000 / USD 2,190 for 4 half-days, per participant
SGD 3,200 / USD 2,336 for 4 half-days, per participant
- Ultra Supercritical Power Plant Equipment: Learn about various ultra supercritical power plant equipment including: steam turbines, furnace, burners, boilers, economizers, superheaters, reheaters, valves, emission control equipment, governing systems, deaerators, feed water heaters and auxiliaries.
- Ultra Supercritical Power Plants Economics: Examine the advantages, applications, performance and economics of ultra supercritical power plants and advanced ultra supercritical power generating plants.
- Ultra Supercritical Power Plant Maintenance: Learn all common problems and solutions of ultra supercritical power plants and all maintenance activities required for ultra supercritical power plants and advanced ultra supercritical power generating plants to minimize their operating cost and maximize their efficiency, reliability, and longevity.
- Ultra Supercritical Power Plant Environmental Emissions: Learn about the monitoring and control of environmental emissions from ultra supercritical and advanced ultra supercritical power plants
- Ultra Supercritical Power Plant Instrumentation and Control Systems: Learn about the latest instrumentation and control systems of ultra supercritical power plants and advanced ultra supercritical power generating plants.
- Ultra Supercritical Power Plant Reliability and Testing: Increase your knowledge of ultra supercritical and advanced ultra supercritical power plant predictive and preventive maintenance, reliability and testing.
- Ultra Supercritical Power Plant Design, Selection and Applications: Gain a detailed understanding of the design, selection considerations and applications of ultra supercritical power plants and advanced ultra supercritical power generating plants.
- Ultra Supercritical Power Plant Profitability: Learn about the reliability, life cycle cost, profitability, refurbishment, and life extension methods for all types of ultra supercritical power plants and advanced ultra supercritical power generating plants
Who Should Attend
- Engineers of all disciplines
- Maintenance personnel
- Other technical individuals
Expert Course Faculty
Your specialist course leader has more than 32 years of practical engineering experience with Ontario Power Generation (OPG), one of the largest electric utility in North America. He was previously involved in research on power generation equipment with Atomic Energy of Canada Limited at their Chalk River and Whiteshell Nuclear Research Laboratories.
While working at OPG, he acted as a Training Manager, Engineering Supervisor, System Responsible Engineer and Design Engineer. During the period of time, he worked as a Field Engineer and Design Engineer, he was responsible for the operation, maintenance, diagnostics, and testing of gas turbines, steam turbines, generators, motors, transformers, inverters, valves, pumps, compressors, instrumentation and control systems. Further, his responsibilities included designing, engineering, diagnosing equipment problems and recommending solutions to repair deficiencies and improve system performance, supervising engineers, setting up preventive maintenance programs, writing Operating and Design Manuals, and commissioning new equipment.
Later, he worked as the manager of a section dedicated to providing training for the staff at the power stations. The training provided by him covered in detail the various equipment and systems used in power stations.
In addition, he has taught courses and seminars to more than four thousand working engineers and professionals around the world, specifically Europe and North America. He has been consistently ranked as “Excellent” or “Very Good” by the delegates who attended his seminars and lectures.
He written 5 books for working engineers from which 3 have been published by McGraw-Hill, New York. Below is a list of the books authored by him;
- Power Generation Handbook: Gas Turbines, Steam Power Plants, Co-generation, and Combined Cycles, second edition, (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York
- Electrical Equipment Handbook (600 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York
- Power Plant Equipment Operation and Maintenance Guide (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York
- Industrial Instrumentation and Modern Control Systems (400 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing
- Industrial Equipment (600 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing
Furthermore, he has received the following awards:
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by PowerEdge, Singapore, in December 2016
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by the Professional Development Center at University of Toronto (May, 1996).
- The “Excellence in Teaching Award” in April 2007 offered by TUV Akademie (TUV Akademie is one of the largest Professional Development centre in world, it is based in Germany and the United Arab Emirates, and provides engineering training to engineers and managers across Europe and the Middle East).
- Awarded graduation “With Distinction” from Dalhousie University when completed Bachelor of Engineering degree (1983).
Lastly, he was awarded his Bachelor of Engineering Degree “with distinction” from Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. He also received a Master of Applied Science in Engineering (M.A.Sc.) from the University of Ottawa, Canada. He is also a member of the Association of Professional Engineers in the province of Ontario, Canada.
TOPICS TO BE COVERED
Ultra Supercritical Power Plants Benefits, Design and Operation, Efficiency Improvements, Plant Layout, Turbine Design, Features, Steam Path Design, Advanced Seal Design
Ultra Supercritical Power Plant Cycle Overview, Advantages, Design Features, Heater Above Reheat Point (HARP), Impact of Steam Condition on Plant Material and Operation, Fuel Consideration and Burner Design, Materials, Environmental Emmisions, Recent Advances
Ultra Supercritical Power Plants Boilers, Once-Through Boilers, Dryout, Recirculation Pump, Start-up System, Economics, Instrumentation and Control Systems, Governing Systems, Performance Monitoring, Maintenance, Emissions and Pollution Control Methods, CO2 Capture and Storage Technology, Turbine Material and Coatings
Advanced Ultra Supercritical Power Plants Design, Materials, Boilers, Turbines, Coatings, Economics, Generators
This training course will be conducted as a Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT). Delegates will receive a confirmation email after successful registration.
Soft copy course materials & Certification of Completion will be provided to registered participants.
Unique Features with powerEDGE Training
- Pre-Course Questionnaire (PCQ) to help us focus on your learning objectives
- Detailed course & reference manual for continuous learning and sharing
- Practical exercises & case examples to better understand the principles
- Limited class size to ensure one-to-one interactivity
- Assessment at the end of the course to help you develop a personal action plan