LEADING BIG DATA AND ANALYTICS IN POWER AND UTILITIES
WEBINAR | 23 - 25 NOVEMBER 2020 | 10:00 - 15:00 (GMT+8) DAILY
About The Course
There are many factors driving power and utility organisations to implement big data and analytics programmes. The push factors of increasing demands for greater return on assets from investors and growing demand for lower-cost and higher-reliability supply from customers are combined with the pull factors of a significant decrease in cost of computing power, remote sensing and control devices, communication networks and the ever-growing amounts of meaningful data generated by digitisation initiatives.
While many power and utility organisations claim that analytics is a high strategic priority, many of these same organisations have either failed to start an analytics programme or have started and reached what McKinsey & Company calls the “started but stuck” phase, that is they have invested heavily in analytics infrastructure and technical people but are yet to achieve meaningful business results.
The objective of this course is to show power and utility executives and managers how to plan and execute an organisation-wide analytics programme that is capable of delivering significantly lower costs, higher asset utilisation and greater stakeholder satisfaction at all points power and utility value chain – generation, transmission, distribution and retail consumption.
SGD 800 per day
This three-day course provides practical knowledge, grounded in high-quality academic research and industry best practice, will empower the executive and management team of power and utility organisations to jump-start an analytics programme capable of providing positive financial returns, increased network reliability and sustainable growth.
Participants completing this workshop will:
- Know how analytics can help their business unlock the value in their data to achieve a sustainable competitive advantage and innovation
- Understand the key principles and concepts of analytics
- Understand the proven success factors for analytics
- Know what is required to plan and execute a successful organisation-wide, business-driven analytics program
- Know how to assemble an effective analytics team that can drive analytics throughout the organisation.
Who Should Attend
This workshop is intended for senior executives and middle managers in power and utility organisations interested in building an effective analytics capability to obtain competitive advantage and drive change across their organisation.
The type of roles who would benefit from attending this workshop are:
- All C-level executive
- Senior managers in power generation, transmission and distribution, maintenance and asset management, sales and marketing, and retail operations
- Functional leaders in all area of the business who would benefit from a better understanding of how to effectively use big data and analytics
Expert Course Faculty
Our key expert spent the first 8 years’ of his career working as an electrical and electronics technician in the electricity distribution, mining and heavy industry sectors. He then switched careers and now has more than 20 years’ experience in data science, business intelligence, business analytics operational reporting, data warehousing and other decision support projects. Our key expert’s background includes over 7 years’ in academic research and teaching at Melbourne Business School, Monash University and Latrobe University.
Our key expert mixes academia with the delivery of data science, data analytics and business intelligence services to healthcare, transport and logistics, financial services, insurance, commercial broadcasting, utilities, state government, police and courts, agricultural management, professional services, manufacturing and tertiary education. This ensures that he stays abreast of new thinking in academia and brings that into the commercial world, developing best practices for both academia and industry.
While senior executives have long been using information for decision making, opportunities have increased exponentially. Research shows that leading organisations are data-driven and that culture flows directly to the improved bottom line. However, traditional management reporting is only a small part of the story. Our key expert’s passion is to help senior executives to understand the possibilities and the executive mindset to better exploit these opportunities. With knowledgeable executive, organisations can build the right kind of support structure to provide business decision makers with rapid access to information whether it comes from internal or external sources. That also means building the right kind of collaborative conversation between the executives and the data scientists.
Our key expert holds a Master of Business Information Systems (Honours), with first class honours and Dux of graduating year from Monash University, and a Bachelor of Business from the University of Newcastle.
Between 2009 and 2017, our key expert serves as an adjunct lecturer in analytics, and researcher in the Decision Support System Laboratory research group at Monash University, an adjunct lecturer and tutor for the Master of Business Analytics at Melbourne Business School, and an adjunct lecturer and tutor for the Master of Business Information and Management Systems at Latrobe University. In addition, our key expert has published several peer-reviewed conference papers and journal articles on analytics and business intelligence.
- Over 20 years’ of experience in business intelligence, analytics, operational reporting, and data warehousing projects
- Experience in the development and implementation of information management-related solutions across various industries
- Published a number of peer-reviewed conference and journal papers on business intelligence theory and research
Analytics and the Power and Utility landscape
Types of Analytics
Analytics in Power and Utility Functions
Descriptive, Explanatory and Discovery Analytics
Predictive and Prescriptive Analytics
Governance, Compliance and Ethics of Analytics
Analytics System Implementation Method
Planning Analytics Infrastructure
This training course will be conducted as a live webinar session. Delegates will be given a link to join in the session via a confirmation email.
The hard copy of course materials will be mailed out a week prior to the session. Certification of Completion will be mailed after the course.
Unique Features with powerEDGE Training
• Pre-Course Questionnaire to help us focus on your learning objectives
• Detailed Course & Reference Manual for Continuous Learning and Sharing
• Practical Exercises & Case Examples to better understand the principles
• Limited class size to ensure One-to-One Interactivity
• Assessment at the end of the course to help you develop a Personal Action Plan