VIRTUAL INSTRUCTOR LED TRAINING (VILT)
INDUSTRIAL INSTRUMENTATION AND MODERN CONTROL SYSTEMS
19 - 21 OCTOBER 2020 | 08:00 - 12:00 (GMT+8) DAILY
About The Course
This course will provide a comprehensive understanding of modern control systems, digital control, Distributed Control Systems (DCSs), Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems, industrial instrumentation, HART protocol, control valves, actuators and smart technology. This course will focus on maximizing the efficiency, reliability and longevity of these systems and equipment by providing an understanding of the characteristics, selection criteria, common problems and repair techniques, preventive and predictive maintenance.
This course is a must for anyone who is involved in the selection, applications or maintenance of modern control systems, digital control, Distributed Control Systems (DCSs), Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems, industrial instrumentation, control valves, actuators and smart technology because it covers how these systems and equipment operates, the latest maintenance techniques, and provide guidelines and rules that ensures their successful operation.
This course will provide the following information for modern control systems, digital control, Distributed Control Systems (DCSs), Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems, industrial instrumentation, control valves, actuators and smart technology:
- Basic design
- Operating characteristics
- Selection criteria
- Sizing calculations
- Enclosures and sealing arrangements
- Codes and standards
- Common operational problems
- All diagnostics, troubleshooting, testing and maintenance
Practical application of smart instrumentation, SCADA and DCS, control valves, actuators, etc. in the following industries will be discussed in detail:
- Chemical and petrochemical
- Power generation
- Pulp and paper
- Water and sewage treatment
- Electrical power grids
- Environmental monitoring and control systems
- Pharmaceutical plants
The instructor will guide the delegates during the seminar to do the following:
- Design control systems for the chemical, petro-chemical and power generation industries
- Select the components for these control systems
- Tune and troubleshoot these control systems
SGD 2,100 for 3 days
SGD 800 per day*
*Avail all 3 days to enjoy SGD 300 discount
- Equipment Operation: Gain a thorough understanding of the operating characteristics of these systems
- Equipment Diagnostics and Inspection: Learn in detail all the diagnostic techniques and inspections required of critical components
- Equipment Testing: Understand thoroughly all the tests required for the various types of systems
- Equipment Maintenance and Troubleshooting: Determine all the maintenance and troubleshooting activities required to minimize the downtime and operating cost
- Equipment Repair and Refurbishment: Gain a detailed understanding of the various methods used to repair and refurbish these systems
- Efficiency, Reliability and Longevity: Learn the various methods used to maximize the efficiency, reliability, and longevity of the systems
- Equipment Sizing: Gain a detailed understanding of all the calculations and sizing techniques
- Design Features: Understand all the design features that helps to improve the efficiency and reliability of these systems
- Equipment Selection: Learn how to select modern control systems, digital control, Distributed Control Systems (DCSs), Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems, industrial instrumentation, control valves, actuators and smart technology by using the performance characteristics and selection criteria that you will learn in this seminar
- Equipment Enclosures and Sealing Methods: Learn about the various types of enclosures and sealing arrangements used for the systems
- Equipment Commissioning: Understand all commissioning requirements for modern control systems, digital control, Distributed Control Systems (DCSs), Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems, industrial instrumentation, control valves, actuators and smart technology
- Equipment Codes and Standards: Learn all the codes and standards applicable for the systems
- Equipment Causes and Modes of Failures: Understand the causes and modes of failures of these systems
- System Design: Learn all the requirements for designing different types of modern control systems, digital control, Distributed Control Systems (DCSs), Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems, industrial instrumentation, control valves, actuators and smart technology
Who Should Attend
- Engineers of all disciplines
- Maintenance personnel
- Other technical individuals
Expert Course Faculty
Our expert has been a teacher at University of Toronto and Dalhousie University, Canada for more than 25 years. In addition, he has taught courses and seminars to more than four thousand working engineers and professionals around the world, specifically Europe and North America. He has been consistently ranked as “Excellent” or “Very Good” by the delegates who attended his seminars and lectures.
He wrote 5 books for working engineers from which three have been published by McGraw-Hill, New York. Below is a list of the books authored by him:
- Power Generation Handbook: Gas Turbines, Steam Power Plants, Co-generation, and Combined Cycles, second edition, (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, October 2011.
- Electrical Equipment Handbook (600 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, March 2003.
- Power Plant Equipment Operation and Maintenance Guide (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, January 2012.
- Industrial Instrumentation and Modern Control Systems (400 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
- Industrial Equipment (600 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
Furthermore, he has received the following awards:
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by PowerEdge Asia Training center, Singapore, December 2016
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by the Professional Development Center at University of Toronto (May, 1996).
- The “Excellence in Teaching Award” in April 2007 offered by TUV Akademie (TUV Akademie is one of the largest Professional Development centre in world, it is based in Germany and the United Arab Emirates, and provides engineering training to engineers and managers across Europe and the Middle East).
- Awarded graduation “With Distinction” from Dalhousie University when completed Bachelor of Engineering degree (1983).
- Entrance Scholarship to University of Ottawa (1984).
- Natural Science and Engineering Research Counsel (NSERC) scholarship towards graduate studies – Master of Applied Science in Engineering (1984 – 1985).
Our specialist performed research on power generation equipment with Atomic Energy of Canada Limited at their Chalk River and Whiteshell Nuclear Research Laboratories. He also has more than 32 years of practical engineering experience with Ontario Power Generation (OPG – formerly, Ontario Hydro – the largest electric utility in North America). He retired from OPG in November 2016.
While working at Ontario Hydro, he acted as a Training Manager, Engineering Supervisor, System Responsible Engineer and Design Engineer. During the period of time, he worked as a Field Engineer and Design Engineer, he was responsible for the operation, maintenance, diagnostics, and testing of gas turbines, steam turbines, generators, motors, transformers, inverters, valves, pumps, compressors, instrumentation and control systems. Further, his responsibilities included designing, engineering, diagnosing equipment problems and recommending solutions to repair deficiencies and improve system performance, supervising engineers, setting up preventive maintenance programs, writing Operating and Design Manuals, and commissioning new equipment.
Later, he worked as the manager of a section dedicated to providing training for the staff at the power stations. The training provided by him covered in detail the various equipment and systems used in power stations.
Lastly, he was awarded his Bachelor of Engineering Degree “with distinction” from Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. He also received a Master of Applied Science in Engineering (M.A.Sc.) from the University of Ottawa, Canada. He is also a member of the Association of Professional Engineers in the province of Ontario, Canada.
Day 1 – Feedback Control and Proportional-Integral-Derivative Algorithm, Co-relations for Tuning Constants, Proportional-Integral-Derivative Controller Tuning for Dynamic Performance
Day 2 – Distributed Control Systems (DCS), Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition (SCADA) System, Intelligent (Smart) Transmitters, Controllers, Sizing and Selection of Control Valves
Day 3 – Sizing of Control Valves, Positioners, and Actuator for Compressible and Non-Compressible Fluids, Control Valve Flashing, Cavitation and Noise Control, Control System, Commissioning of Instrumentation and Control System Packages, Troubleshooting and Diagnostics
This training course will be conducted as a Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT). Delegates will receive a confirmation email after successful registration. Delegates may choose to attend the full course (3 days) or select individual sessions below for this training session.
> Session 1 – 19 October 2020
> Session 2 – 20 October 2020
> Session 3 – 21 October 2020
Soft copy course materials will be shared to the participants prior to the session. A hard copy Certification of Completion will be mailed after the course.
Unique Features with powerEDGE Training
- Pre-Course Questionnaire (PCQ) to help us focus on your learning objectives
- Detailed course & reference manual for continuous learning and sharing
- Practical exercises & case examples to better understand the principles
- Limited class size to ensure one-to-one interactivity
- Assessment at the end of the course to help you develop a personal action plan