MECHANICAL SEALS: TROUBLESHOOTING AND MAINTENANCE
Selection, Applications, Operation, Troubleshooting and Maintenance.
23 - 24 MARCH 2020, KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA
About The Course
This seminar will provide a comprehensive understanding of the various types of mechanical seals and other methods of sealing rotating equipment including conventional packing, condensate injection sealing, and floating seal rings. This seminar will focus on mechanical seals including their classification, balanced and unbalanced mechanical seals, stationary and rotating mechanical seals, single or double mechanical seals, industrial mechanical seals, U-type mechanical seals, double mechanical seals, tandem mechanical seals, bellows seals, and installation of mechanical seals.
This seminar will provide also detailed description about the installation of mechanical seals, pre-installation checks, environmental control of mechanical seals, and the reasons for mechanical seal failure, remedies and refurbishment. The on-site failure analysis of mechanical seals, inspection of mechanical seal components, corrosion and erosion of mechanical seal components will be covered thoroughly.
The seminar will also provide in-depth coverage of the physical inspection of o-rings, and gaskets, rotating and stationary faces, as well as description, symptoms, causes and corrective actions of mechanical seals rotating and stationary face distortion, erosion, carbon blistering, heat checking and vaporization.
This seminar is a MUST for anyone who is involved in the selection, applications, or maintenance of mechanical seals because it covers how this equipment operates, the latest maintenance and refurbishment techniques, and provides guidelines and rules that ensure the successful operation of all types of mechanical seals. In addition, this seminar will cover in detail the basic design, operating characteristics, specification, selection criteria, advanced fault detection techniques, critical components and all preventive and predictive maintenance methods of mechanical seals in order to increase their reliability and reduce their operation and maintenance cost.
This seminar will provide the following information for all types of mechanical seals:
- Basic design
- Selection criteria
- Sizing calculations
- Suitable applications
- Codes and standards
- Common operational problems, causes and remedies
- All diagnostics, troubleshooting, testing, maintenance and refurbishment methods
- Various Methods of Sealing Rotating Equipment: Gain a thorough understanding of the various methods of sealing rotating equipment including stuffing box packing, condensate injection sealing, floating seal rings, labyrinth seals, wind back scroll or wind back seal, lip seals and mechanical seals
- Mechanical Seal Classification and Types: Understand thoroughly mechanical seals classification and types including balanced and unbalanced mechanical seals, stationary and rotating mechanical seals, single or double mechanical seals, industrial mechanical seals, U-type mechanical seals, double mechanical seals, tandem mechanical seals and bellows seals
- Installation of Mechanical Seals: Learn about the installation of various types of mechanical seals
- Environmental Control of Mechanical Seals: Gain a good understanding of the reasons for environmental control of mechanical seals
- Centrifugal Pump Mechanical Seals: Learn about centrifugal pump mechanical seals including basic components, seal balance, face pressure, pressure-velocity, power consumption and temperature control
- Mechanical Seal Failure Causes and Their Remedies: Examine all the causes of mechanical seal failures and their remedies
- On-site Failure Analysis of Mechanical Seals: Gain a thorough understanding on how to perform an on-site failure analysis of mechanical seals
- Inspection of Mechanical Seal Components: Learn how to perform inspection of mechanical seal components
- Corrosion and Erosion of Mechanical Seal Components: Examine the description, symptoms, causes and corrective actions of corrosion and erosion of mechanical seal components
- Mechanical Seal O-ring Compression Set, Extrusion, Thermal Damage, Cuts, Tears, Nicks and Explosive Decompression: Understand the description, symptoms, causes and corrective actions of o-ring compression set, extrusion, thermal damage, cuts, nicks and explosive decompression
- Mechanical Seal Rotating and Stationary Face Distortion, Erosion, Carbon Blistering, Heat Checking and Vaporization: Understand the description, symptoms, causes and corrective actions of mechanical seal rotating and stationary face distortion, erosion, carbon blistering, heat checking and vaporization
- Refurbishment of Mechanical Seals: Gain a thorough understanding of all the modern refurbishment methods of mechanical seals
- Case Studies of Mechanical Seals in Pumps and Compressors in Power Generation and Petro Chemical Industry: Several case studies of mechanical seals in compressor and pumps will be explained thoroughly
Who Should Attend
- Engineers of all disciplines
- Maintenance personnel
- Other technical individuals
Expert Course Faculty
Our expert has been a teacher at University of Toronto and Dalhousie University, Canada for more than 25 years. In addition, he has taught courses and seminars to more than four thousand working engineers and professionals around the world, specifically Europe and North America. He has been consistently ranked as “Excellent” or “Very Good” by the delegates who attended his seminars and lectures.
He wrote 5 books for working engineers from which three have been published by McGraw-Hill, New York. Below is a list of the books authored by him:
- Power Generation Handbook: Gas Turbines, Steam Power Plants, Co-generation, and Combined Cycles, second edition, (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, October 2011.
- Electrical Equipment Handbook (600 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, March 2003.
- Power Plant Equipment Operation and Maintenance Guide (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, January 2012.
- Industrial Instrumentation and Modern Control Systems (400 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
- Industrial Equipment (600 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
Furthermore, he has received the following awards:
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by PowerEdge Asia Training center, Singapore, December 2016
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by the Professional Development Center at University of Toronto (May, 1996).
- The “Excellence in Teaching Award” in April 2007 offered by TUV Akademie (TUV Akademie is one of the largest Professional Development centre in world, it is based in Germany and the United Arab Emirates, and provides engineering training to engineers and managers across Europe and the Middle East).
- Awarded graduation “With Distinction” from Dalhousie University when completed Bachelor of Engineering degree (1983).
- Entrance Scholarship to University of Ottawa (1984).
- Natural Science and Engineering Research Counsel (NSERC) scholarship towards graduate studies – Master of Applied Science in Engineering (1984 – 1985).
Our specialist performed research on power generation equipment with Atomic Energy of Canada Limited at their Chalk River and Whiteshell Nuclear Research Laboratories. He also has more than 32 years of practical engineering experience with Ontario Power Generation (OPG – formerly, Ontario Hydro – the largest electric utility in North America). He retired from OPG in November 2016.
While working at Ontario Hydro, he acted as a Training Manager, Engineering Supervisor, System Responsible Engineer and Design Engineer. During the period of time, he worked as a Field Engineer and Design Engineer, he was responsible for the operation, maintenance, diagnostics, and testing of gas turbines, steam turbines, generators, motors, transformers, inverters, valves, pumps, compressors, instrumentation and control systems. Further, his responsibilities included designing, engineering, diagnosing equipment problems and recommending solutions to repair deficiencies and improve system performance, supervising engineers, setting up preventive maintenance programs, writing Operating and Design Manuals, and commissioning new equipment.
Later, he worked as the manager of a section dedicated to providing training for the staff at the power stations. The training provided by him covered in detail the various equipment and systems used in power stations.
Lastly, he was awarded his Bachelor of Engineering Degree “with distinction” from Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. He also received a Master of Applied Science in Engineering (M.A.Sc.) from the University of Ottawa, Canada. He is also a member of the Association of Professional Engineers in the province of Ontario, Canada.
Various methods of sealing rotating equipment
Mechanical seal classification and types
Installation of mechanical seals
Environmental control of mechanical seals
Centrifugal pump mechanical seals
Mechanical seal failure causes and their remedies
Inspection of mechanical seal components
Corrosion and erosion of mechanical seal components
This training course has a limited attendance for up to 20 participants only. Sessions commence at 9am on all days, with short intervals at 10.30am and 3.30pm respectively.
Refreshments will be provided in the short intervals. Lunch will be provided at 12:30pm for 1 hour. Sessions will end at 5pm on all days.
Unique Features with powerEDGE Training
- Pre-Course Questionnaire (PCQ) to help us focus on your learning objectives
- Detailed course & reference manual for continuous learning and sharing
- Practical exercises & case examples to better understand the principles
- Limited class size to ensure one-to-one interactivity
- Assessment at the end of the course to help you develop a personal action plan