VIRTUAL INSTRUCTOR LED TRAINING (VILT)
STEAM TURBINE TECHNOLOGY
16 - 20 NOVEMBER 2020 | 08:00 - 12:00 (GMT+8) DAILY
About The Course
This course will cover all aspects of steam turbines including design and features of modern turbines, material, rotor balancing, features enhancing the reliability and maintainability of steam turbines, rotor dynamic analysis, Campbell, Goodman and SAFE diagrams, Blade failures: causes and solutions, maintenance and overhaul of steam turbines, and modeling of steam turbines.
This course will also cover in detail all the components of these turbines, instrumentation, control systems, governing systems, and selection criteria. The main focus of this course will be on the failure modes of steam turbine components, causes and solutions for component failure, maintenance, refurbishment and overhaul, rotor dynamic analysis of steam turbines, and computer simulation of steam turbine rotor dynamics. All possible failure modes of steam turbine components and the maintenance required to prevent them will be discussed in detail. Examples of rotor dynamic analysis, and stability criteria will be covered thoroughly.
This course will also provide up-dated information in respect to all the methods used to enhance the availability, reliability, and maintainability of steam turbines, increase the efficiency and longevity of steam turbines, and improve the rotor dynamic stability. This course will also cover in detail all steam turbine valves, jacking oil system, turning gear, turbine supervisory system, steam turbine monitoring technology, validation, and verification tests, performance testing of steam turbines and steam turbine codes especially ASME PTC6.
SGD 3,099 for 5 days
SGD 3,299 for 5 days
- Steam Turbine Components and Systems: Learn about all components and systems of the various types of steam turbines such as: stationary and rotating blades, casings, rotor, seals, bearings, and lubrication systems
- Steam Turbine Failure Modes, Inspection, Diagnostic Testing, and Maintenance: Understand all the failure modes of steam turbine components, causes and solutions of steam turbine component failure, inspection, diagnostic testing, and all maintenance activities required for steam turbines to minimize their operating cost and maximize their efficiency, reliability, and longevity.
- Steam Turbine Instrumentation and Control Systems: Learn about the latest instrumentation, control systems, and governing systems of steam turbines
- Steam Turbine Reliability and Maintainability: Increase your knowledge about all the methods used to enhance the reliability and maintainability of steam turbines as well as the predictive and preventive maintenance required for steam turbines
- Steam Turbine Selection and Applications: Gain a detailed understanding of the selection considerations and applications of steam turbines in steam power plants, co-generation, combined-cycle plants, and drivers for compressors pumps, etc
- Steam Turbine Valves, Load-Frequency Control, Turbine Bypass Systems, and Steam Turbine Superheater Attemperators: Gain a thorough understanding of all steam turbine valves, load-frequency control, turbine bypass systems, and steam turbine superheater attemperators
- Jacking Oil System and Turning Gear: Learn about the turbine jacking oil system and turning gear operation
- Turbine Supervisory System: Gain a thorough understanding of the turbine supervisory system
- Steam Turbine Monitoring Technology, Validation, and Verification Tests for Power Plants: Learn about steam turbine monitoring technology, validation, and verification tests for power plants
- Steam Turbine Codes: Learn about steam turbine codes including ASME PTC6, DIN Test Code, and International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) Doc 1, IEC Doc B
- Steam Turbine Rotor Dynamic Analysis, Campbell, Goodman, and SAFE Diagrams: Gain a thorough understanding of steam turbine rotor dynamic analysis, Campbell, Goodman, and SAFE diagrams
Who Should Attend
- Engineers of all disciplines
- Maintenance personnel
- Other technical individuals
Expert Course Faculty
Your specialist course leader has more than 32 years of practical engineering experience with Ontario Power Generation (OPG), one of the largest electric utility in North America. He was previously involved in research on power generation equipment with Atomic Energy of Canada Limited at their Chalk River and Whiteshell Nuclear Research Laboratories.
While working at OPG, he acted as a Training Manager, Engineering Supervisor, System Responsible Engineer and Design Engineer. During the period of time, he worked as a Field Engineer and Design Engineer, he was responsible for the operation, maintenance, diagnostics, and testing of gas turbines, steam turbines, generators, motors, transformers, inverters, valves, pumps, compressors, instrumentation and control systems. Further, his responsibilities included designing, engineering, diagnosing equipment problems and recommending solutions to repair deficiencies and improve system performance, supervising engineers, setting up preventive maintenance programs, writing Operating and Design Manuals, and commissioning new equipment.
Later, he worked as the manager of a section dedicated to providing training for the staff at the power stations. The training provided by him covered in detail the various equipment and systems used in power stations.
In addition, he has taught courses and seminars to more than four thousand working engineers and professionals around the world, specifically Europe and North America. He has been consistently ranked as “Excellent” or “Very Good” by the delegates who attended his seminars and lectures.
He written 5 books for working engineers from which 3 have been published by McGraw-Hill, New York. Below is a list of the books authored by him;
- Power Generation Handbook: Gas Turbines, Steam Power Plants, Co-generation, and Combined Cycles, second edition, (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, October 2011.
- Electrical Equipment Handbook (600 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, March 2003.
- Power Plant Equipment Operation and Maintenance Guide (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, January 2012.
- Industrial Instrumentation and Modern Control Systems (400 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
- Industrial Equipment (600 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
Furthermore, he has received the following awards:
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by PowerEdge, Singapore, in December 2016
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by the Professional Development Center at University of Toronto (May, 1996).
- The “Excellence in Teaching Award” in April 2007 offered by TUV Akademie (TUV Akademie is one of the largest Professional Development centre in world, it is based in Germany and the United Arab Emirates, and provides engineering training to engineers and managers across Europe and the Middle East).
- Awarded graduation “With Distinction” from Dalhousie University when completed Bachelor of Engineering degree (1983).
Lastly, he was awarded his Bachelor of Engineering Degree “with distinction” from Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. He also received a Master of Applied Science in Engineering (M.A.Sc.) from the University of Ottawa, Canada. He is also a member of the Association of Professional Engineers in the province of Ontario, Canada.
TESTIMONIALS FROM PAST PARTICIPANTS
“Trainer is very knowledgeable in every steam turbine aspect.”– Customer Service Leader, GE Malaysia
“The trainer has the ability to communicate complex information into simple and digestible idea. Leveraging on his extensive power plant experience makes him a very effective lecturer.” – Customer Service Leader, GE Philippines Inc.
“The trainer was equipped with absolute knowledge in Steam Turbine, whether it was theoretically and in practical knowledge. Thanks a lot for sharing with me an advanced knowledge in Steam Turbine.” – Turbine Mechanical Supervisor, GNPower Dinginin Ltd Co.
“Good explanation with wide and extensive background in the topic. Easy use of technical language. Highly recommended.” – Process Engineer, Visy Australia
This training course will be conducted as a Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT). Delegates will receive a confirmation email after successful registration.
Soft copy course materials & Certification of Completion will be provided to registered participants.
Unique Features with powerEDGE Training
- Pre-Course Questionnaire (PCQ) to help us focus on your learning objectives
- Detailed course & reference manual for continuous learning and sharing
- Practical exercises & case examples to better understand the principles
- Limited class size to ensure one-to-one interactivity
- Assessment at the end of the course to help you develop a personal action plan