OPERATIONS, MAINTENANCE AND TESTING ON POWER TRANSFORMERS & ELECTRIC MOTORS
With site visit to a power plant.
09 - 11 JUNE 2020, SINGAPORE
About The Course
With the industrial growth, it has become necessary to monitor the condition of the machine/system. Electrical machines, mainly power transformer and electric motors being the most sensitive part has great importance for the facilities to run the production without any abnormalities. A wide variety of tests have been developed and standardized to help manufacturers and users of motor and transformer windings assess the condition of the electrical insulation.
This training course will provide an understanding of power transformers and electric motor, their materials, components, and how they operate. It also emphasizes the importance of transformer management life especially for those transformers and electric motors which have been in operation for 10 years and more. The course will address in detail all aspects related to transformer principles, calculations, operation, testing and maintenance.
This course aims to provide participants with the understanding of the fundamentals and constructional features of power transformers and electric motors, with particular reference to the design, testing, operation and maintenance of transformers in power systems.
Delegates will gain a detailed appreciation of the following:
- Practical solutions for specifying, operating and maintaining power transformers and electric motors in a utility or plant environment
- Comprehensive understanding of principles, protection, maintenance and troubleshooting of power transformers and electric motors
- The necessary safe procedures relating to transformer operation and related circuitry
- Understand the principles of operation of the transformer and electric motors
- Identify the different features of power transformers and electric motors
- Appreciate the principles of transformer design, ratings, windings, core structure and materials, insulation and cooling methods, insulation and lifetime
- Utilize thermal limits and loading guides of transformers
- Analyze transformer and electric motors failure modes
Who Should Attend
- Plant reliability engineers/managers
- Maintenance engineers/managers
- Utility and facility engineers/managers
- Performance engineers/managers
Expert Course Faculty
Our key expert is the Founder of a consultation firm based in Malaysia, who is actively involved in electrical competent person inspection, energy audit, energy efficiency and technical consultation for M&E maintenance activities for industrial and commercial sectors.
He is involved in testing and commissioning works of factory substations up to 132kV system. Previously, he has worked with 2 700MW Jimah coal-fired power plant, Port Dickson, for 9 years with his last position being Electrical Maintenance Section Head. He was involved in the commissioning of coal-fired power plant mainly with 500kV generator transformer, 934 MVA generator, and up to 33kV MV motors and switchgear panels.
Our key expert has managed the maintenance team to perform routine maintenance activities (together with supporting tools such as motor lube oil analysis, infrared thermography analysis, transformer oil analysis) & electrical troubleshooting and plant outages for critical and non-critical equipment. Besides that, our key expert has published several IEEE conference papers and journals.
Introduction to power grid systems
Introduction and general principles of transformer and motor
Standards for transformers, types and requirements
Transformer fundamentals and characteristics
Preventive maintenance program
Motor fundamentals and characteristics
Performance monitoring of motor
This training course has a limited attendance for up to 20 participants only. Sessions commence at 9am on all days, with short intervals at 10.30am and 3.30pm respectively.
Refreshments will be provided in the short intervals. Lunch will be provided at 12:30pm for 1 hour. Sessions will end at 5pm on all days.
Unique Features with powerEDGE Training
- Pre-Course Questionnaire (PCQ) to help us focus on your learning objectives
- Detailed course & reference manual for continuous learning and sharing
- Practical exercises & case examples to better understand the principles
- Limited class size to ensure one-to-one interactivity
- Assessment at the end of the course to help you develop a personal action plan