ELECTRICAL SWITCHING, INTERPRETATION OF SCHEMATIC DIAGRAM & EARTHING SYSTEM ON SWITCHGEARS
With site visit to a power plant @ Port Dickson.
25 - 27 AUGUST 2020, KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA
About The Course
Switchgear is also known as an electro-mechanical equipment or device used to close and open circuit. It is designed and manufactured to operate in various mode of operation, manually, semi-auto or fully automatic, suitable to the required application.
This course is designed to provide advance knowledge and appropriate guidance as to the right procedures in the operation, maintenance, testing and troubleshooting of switchgears. For safety reasons, switchgear has to be equipped with specific protective devices to safeguard the switchgear itself, and the swtichgear operators.
The current challenges, especially for the switchgear operators (competent personnel as to meet the requirements stipulated by the Electricity Act and Regulations), who is normally may not be fully equipped with much knowledge, experience and familiarization on the right approach on handling switchgears, maintenance and troubleshooting, and as a result may not be fully capable in rectifying problems of switchgears under their care. This often results in extra cost incurred by engaging external expertise to rectify the problems that arises.
This course aims to provide understanding of the fundamentals on how to read and interpret the electrical schematic diagram, electrical safety at switchgear and transformer, as well as earthing system at the facilities.
Delegates will gain a detailed appreciation of the following:
- Helps with understanding the operation, maintenance and appropriate trouble response to power system equipment with a detailed knowledge of and ability to read and interpret electrical schematic diagram
- Understanding on electrical safety at switchgear apart from electrical switching work and awareness on Regulations and Acts related to Energy Commission, Malaysia
- Understanding on importance of earthing system at facility and practical knowledge of earthing ground test using test kit
Who Should Attend
- Plant reliability engineers/managers
- Maintenance engineers/managers
- Utility and facility engineers/managers
- Performance engineers/managers
Expert Course Faculty
Our key expert is the Founder of a consultation firm based in Malaysia, who is actively involved in electrical competent person inspection, energy audit, energy efficiency and technical consultation for M&E maintenance activities for industrial and commercial sectors.
He is involved in testing and commissioning works of factory substations up to 132kV system. Previously, he has worked with 2 700MW Jimah coal-fired power plant, Port Dickson, for 9 years with his last position being Electrical Maintenance Section Head. He was involved in the commissioning of coal-fired power plant mainly with 500kV generator transformer, 934 MVA generator, and up to 33kV MV motors and switchgear panels.
Our key expert has managed the maintenance team to perform routine maintenance activities (together with supporting tools such as motor lube oil analysis, infrared thermography analysis, transformer oil analysis) & electrical troubleshooting and plant outages for critical and non-critical equipment. Besides that, our key expert has published several IEEE conference papers and journals.
Concept of switchgear
Concept/types of maintenance on switchgear
Interpretation of electrical schematic diagram
Electrical switching and procedure
Concepts of electrical troubleshooting on switchgear system
Maintenance record keeping and analysis
This training course has a limited attendance for up to 20 participants only. Sessions commence at 9am on all days, with short intervals at 10.30am and 3.30pm respectively.
Refreshments will be provided in the short intervals. Lunch will be provided at 12:30pm for 1 hour. Sessions will end at 5pm on all days.
Unique Features with powerEDGE Training
- Pre-Course Questionnaire (PCQ) to help us focus on your learning objectives
- Detailed course & reference manual for continuous learning and sharing
- Practical exercises & case examples to better understand the principles
- Limited class size to ensure one-to-one interactivity
- Assessment at the end of the course to help you develop a personal action plan