VIRTUAL INSTRUCTOR LED TRAINING (VILT)
THE FUNDAMENTALS OF THERMAL POWER PLANT
07 - 10 DECEMBER 2020 | 4 half-day training, 4 hours per session, total 16 hours
About The Course
This course covers the basic components, systems, design, selection criteria, applications, operation, maintenance, emissions, economics, profit optimization, revenue and life cycle cost analysis of all types of thermal power generating plants including pulverized coal power plants, circulating fluidized bed boiler power plants, gas turbines, co-generation plants, combined cycle power plants, hydro-electric power plants, wind power generation and solar power. This course is for individuals who would like to gain a basic understanding of all types of power generating plants.
All the concepts are presented in this course in the simplest form without relying on complex mathematics. This course is also ideal for managers, investors, lawyers, accountants, engineers and all technical personnel who do not have any power generation background. The economics, profit optimization, revenue and life cycle cost analysis will be covered in detail. Power generating plant equipment such as: pulverized-coal boilers, circulating fluidized bed boilers, gas and steam turbines, heat recovery steam generators, deaerators, condensers, governing systems, lubricating systems, instrumentation, control systems, transformers, and generators will be covered in detail. This course will also provide up-dated information in respect to all the significant improvements that have been made to all types of power generating plants during the last two decades.
SGD 3,000 for 4 days
SGD 3,200 for 4 days
- Power Plant Components and Systems
- Power Plants Economics
- Power Plant Equipment
- Power Plant Maintenance
- Power Plant Environmental Emissions
- Power Plant Instrumentation and Control Systems
- Power Plant Reliability and Testing
- Power Plant Selection and Applications
- Power Plant Profitability
Who Should Attend
- Engineers of all disciplines
- Maintenance personnel
- Other technical individuals
Expert Course Faculty
Your specialist course leader has more than 32 years of practical engineering experience with Ontario Power Generation (OPG), one of the largest electric utility in North America. He was previously involved in research on power generation equipment with Atomic Energy of Canada Limited at their Chalk River and Whiteshell Nuclear Research Laboratories.
While working at OPG, he acted as a Training Manager, Engineering Supervisor, System Responsible Engineer and Design Engineer. During the period of time, he worked as a Field Engineer and Design Engineer, he was responsible for the operation, maintenance, diagnostics, and testing of gas turbines, steam turbines, generators, motors, transformers, inverters, valves, pumps, compressors, instrumentation and control systems. Further, his responsibilities included designing, engineering, diagnosing equipment problems and recommending solutions to repair deficiencies and improve system performance, supervising engineers, setting up preventive maintenance programs, writing Operating and Design Manuals, and commissioning new equipment.
Later, he worked as the manager of a section dedicated to providing training for the staff at the power stations. The training provided by him covered in detail the various equipment and systems used in power stations.
In addition, he has taught courses and seminars to more than four thousand working engineers and professionals around the world, specifically Europe and North America. He has been consistently ranked as “Excellent” or “Very Good” by the delegates who attended his seminars and lectures.
He written 5 books for working engineers from which 3 have been published by McGraw-Hill, New York. Below is a list of the books authored by him;
- Power Generation Handbook: Gas Turbines, Steam Power Plants, Co-generation, and Combined Cycles, second edition, (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, October 2011.
- Electrical Equipment Handbook (600 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, March 2003.
- Power Plant Equipment Operation and Maintenance Guide (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, January 2012.
- Industrial Instrumentation and Modern Control Systems (400 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
- Industrial Equipment (600 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
Furthermore, he has received the following awards:
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by PowerEdge, Singapore, in December 2016
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by the Professional Development Center at University of Toronto (May, 1996).
- The “Excellence in Teaching Award” in April 2007 offered by TUV Akademie (TUV Akademie is one of the largest Professional Development centre in world, it is based in Germany and the United Arab Emirates, and provides engineering training to engineers and managers across Europe and the Middle East).
- Awarded graduation “With Distinction” from Dalhousie University when completed Bachelor of Engineering degree (1983).
Lastly, he was awarded his Bachelor of Engineering Degree “with distinction” from Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. He also received a Master of Applied Science in Engineering (M.A.Sc.) from the University of Ottawa, Canada. He is also a member of the Association of Professional Engineers in the province of Ontario, Canada.
TOPICS TO BE COVERED
Steam Power Plants, Pulverized Coal Boilers, Circulating Fluidized Bed Boilers
Steam Turbines, Steam Turbine Auxiliaries, Efficiency and Heat Rate
Turbine Governing Systems, Economics, Profit Optimization, Revenue and Life Cycle Cost Analysis of Pulverized Coal Power Plants and Circulating Fluidized Bed Power Plants, Gas Turbine Components and Auxiliaries
Combined Cycles and Co-Generation Plants, Hydro-Electric Power Plants, Wind and Solar Power Generation, Transformers and Generators
This training course will be conducted as a Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT). Delegates will receive a confirmation email after successful registration.
Soft copy course materials & Certification of Completion will be provided to registered participants.
Unique Features with powerEDGE Training
- Pre-Course Questionnaire (PCQ) to help us focus on your learning objectives
- Detailed course & reference manual for continuous learning and sharing
- Practical exercises & case examples to better understand the principles
- Limited class size to ensure one-to-one interactivity
- Assessment at the end of the course to help you develop a personal action plan