ADVANCED ROOT CAUSE ANALYSIS FOR THE POWER INDUSTRY
Learn how to analyze problems and prevent re-occurrences using best practice problem solving methodologies and tools.
25 - 27 NOVEMBER 2019, SINGAPORE
About The Course
To ensure targets are met and continuous improvements made, many organizations have institutionalized the proactive Asset Management process but are still to address the reactive/ breakdown process. This course focuses on this aspect.
The RCA process is problem solving methodology aimed at identifying the root causes of problems or events and eliminating re-occurrence. The practice of RCA is predicated on the belief that problems are best solved by attempting to address, correct or eliminate root causes, as opposed to merely addressing the immediately obvious symptoms. By directing corrective measures at root causes, it is more probable that problem recurrence will be prevented.
This saves your organization time, money, and resources and will break the firefighting nexus and free up more time for proactive maintenance. No other process can deliver such a high return for such a small investment.
- Understand the business case for RCA implementation
- Learn how to solve problems systematically by using a proven structured approach
- Understand the various RCA tools and techniques and their respective benefits
- Learn how to establish, and the benefits of an effective team environment and the required skills to facilitate the RCA process
- Learn how to clarify what the Problem is and what it isn’t
- How to Map an auditable trail from the problem system to the Root causes
- The ability to identify critical-based solutions for any charted event
- How to monitor and control the RCA process and ensure actions are delivered
- Recognize common barriers to RCA and apply techniques to overcome those barriers
- Understand Human Reliability and various techniques to improve/ manage
- How to implement measures to ensure gains are implemented and held (continuous improvement)
- Manage Change and how to implement
- To carry out successful RCA’s and introduce the RCA process into their own and their company’s daily activities
- Be aware of our changing business environment and the need for how to apply RCA to drive continuous improvement, in safety, cost reduction, and minimize their environmental footprint
- Understand the impact of human reliability and the various methods used to improve this important area
- Understand the basics of Change Management and the methods used to securely anchor this process and make it routine
- Have appreciation for a holistic “Asset Management” program, and know where the RCA process fits in, and of course the benefits it will deliver
Who Should Attend
This course is aimed at Managers, Engineers, Technicians and Operators (at all levels) who are responsible for the operation and maintenance of power generation equipment who will benefit from, the elimination of bad actors (recurring equipment failure) and continuous improvement in the areas of safety, environment, reliability, integrity and cost. Although basic RCA concepts will be refreshed, this Advanced RCA program focuses on many of challenges associated with the implementation of RCA within today’s power organizations. As RCA is primarily a team activity, there are benefits from cross functional team participation.
Expert Course Faculty
Our key expert has worked as a heavy weight power electrical engineer in major organizations for in excess of 38 years. He holds Bachelors and Master’s Degrees in Power Electrical Engineering (UNSW) and a PhD in Engineering Management University of Melbourne – 1996). He has co-authored an international text (“Patterns of Excellence”) with Professor Danny Samson of Melbourne University that describes managerial excellence in leading international organizations (please refer https://www.abebooks.com/Patterns-Excellence-Danny-Samson-David-Challis/1021430889/bd for further information).
In a 15 year career with Shell International Pty Ltd, 7 years with McKinsey International, 4 years with Melbourne Business School and 12 years with Challis International, our key expert has completed a large variety of leadership and technical roles in the Engineering, Construction and Maintenance areas. In this capacity, his portfolio included responsibility for Major Cogeneration Assets (Combined Heat and Power or CHP) and Power Generation Assets (Gas Turbines and Alternators) in addition to major Power Transmission and Power Distribution facilities including associated ancillary equipment and systems.
Our key expert has completed over 250 consulting assignments, in the USA, Canada, Asia, Europe and Australia advising businesses in all areas of Asset Management Excellence for the Energy, Petroleum and Gas sectors. He has been utilized as a change agent, coach, facilitator and educator within large organizations developing and implementing Best Practice Asset Management Strategies. He is recognized as a global expert in power electrical engineering reviews of major electrical facilities and projects and the analysis of complex failures using RCA and a broad range of models, techniques and tools.
SUMMARY OF ATTRIBUTES
A natural and pragmatic leader with a wide range of skills and strategies for coaching and developing executives, professionals, teams, and groups (individually and collectively) in all aspects of Asset Management, Change Management and Organizational Improvement. An innovator with the proven ability to make things happen. Able to identify opportunities for improvement, develop improvement initiatives and ensure solutions implemented are embedded and the gains sustained. A specialist in Sustainable Asset Reliability Culture Development. Recent assignments have focused on Asset Reliability, Change & Business Improvement and include:
- Asset Management Business Improvement
- Leader of the Peer Enabling Team business improvement process
- Member of the Business Improvement Review Team
- Leader of the Best in Class Asset Management Project
- Asset Reliability & Sustainable Asset improvement
- Culture Development in the Energy, Petroleum and Gas sectors
- Best practice knowledge of the latest tools techniques and practices employed by pacesetters
- Ability to work effectively with all levels: trades, front line leaders, departmental managers, senior executives and boards
- Group Training and Facilitation
- Formulating Strategies for Major Asset Management
- Team Development
Identifying / Defining Problems
Techniques for Identifying Direct, Contributing and Root Causes
Creating a Root Cause Analysis Program / Managing Organizational Culture
Unpacking the RCA Process
RCA Facilitation and Working as a Team
Insights into Human Error and Human Reliability
Major RCA Case Studies
This training course has a limited attendance for up to 20 participants only. Sessions commence at 9am on all days, with short intervals at 10.30am and 3.30pm respectively.
Refreshments will be provided in the short intervals. Lunch will be provided at 12:30pm for 1 hour. Sessions will end at 5pm on all days.
Unique Features with powerEDGE Training
• Pre-Course Questionnaire to help us focus on your learning objectives
• Detailed Course & Reference Manual for Continuous Learning and Sharing
• Practical Exercises & Case Examples to better understand the principles
• Limited class size to ensure One-to-One Interactivity
• Assessment at the end of the course to help you develop a Personal Action Plan