VIRTUAL INSTRUCTOR LED TRAINING (VILT)
8 - 11 MARCH 2021 | 4 half-day training, 4 hours per session (total 16 hours)
About The Course
This course will provide a comprehensive understanding of the various types of transformer maintenance including breakdown maintenance, preventive maintenance, total productive maintenance, condition-based maintenance, pro-active maintenance, and reliability-centered maintenance. All the expected problems in dry and oil-filled transformers will be discussed in detail. All the diagnostics, troubleshooting and maintenance required to ensure adequate operation of transformers will be covered thoroughly. This course will focus on maximizing the efficiency, reliability, and longevity of all types of transformers by providing an understanding of all commissioning requirements, repair and refurbishment methods of transformers.
This course is a MUST for anyone who is involved in the selection, applications, or maintenance of transformers because it covers how this equipment should be commissioned, the latest maintenance techniques, and provides guidelines and rules that ensure successful operation of this equipment. In addition, this course will cover in detail all protective systems, advanced fault detection techniques, critical components, dissolved gas analysis, and all transformer tests and commissioning requirements and procedures.
This course will provide the following information for all types of transformers:
- Preventive Maintenance, Condition-Based Maintenance, Pro-Active Maintenance, and Reliability-Centered Maintenance
- Pre-Commissioning and Commissioning Procedures
- Codes and Standards
- Common Operational Problems
- All Diagnostics and Troubleshooting Techniques
- Procedures for Type Tests, Routine Tests and Special Tests
- All Repair and Refurbishment Methods
- Protective Systems
SGD 3,000 for 4 days
SGD 3,200 for 4 days
- Equipment Diagnostics and Inspection: Learn in detail all the diagnostic techniques and inspections required of critical components of transformers
- Equipment Testing: Understand thoroughly all the routine tests, type tests, and special tests required for the various types of transformers
- Equipment Maintenance and Troubleshooting: Determine all the maintenance and troubleshooting activities required to minimize transformer downtime and operating cost
- Equipment Repair and Refurbishment: Gain a detailed understanding of the various methods used to repair and refurbish transformers
- Efficiency, Reliability, and Longevity: Learn the various methods used to maximize the efficiency, reliability, and longevity of transformers
- Equipment Sizing: Gain a detailed understanding of all the calculations and sizing techniques used for transformers
- Design Features: Understand all the design features that improve the efficiency and reliability of transformers
- Equipment Selection: Learn how to select all types of transformers by using the performance characteristics and selection criteria that you will learn in this seminar
- Equipment Commissioning: Understand all the commissioning requirements for transformers
- Equipment Codes and Standards: Learn all the codes and standards applicable for transformers
- Equipment Causes and Modes of Failure: Understand the causes and modes of failure in transformers
- System Design: Learn all the requirements for designing different types of transformer systems
The instructor relies on a highly interactive training method to enhance the learning process. This method ensures that all the delegates gain a complete understanding of all the topics covered. The training environment is highly stimulating, challenging, and effective because the participants will learn by case studies which will allow them to apply the material taught to their own organization.
Each delegate will receive a copy of the following materials written by the instructor:
- Excerpt of the relevant chapters from the “ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT HANDBOOK” published by McGraw-Hill in 2003 (600 pages)
- Transformer Testing, Maintenance and Commissioning Manual (covering all the tests, maintenance activities, protective systems and all commissioning procedures for all types of transformers – 350 pages)
Who Should Attend
- Engineers of all disciplines
- Maintenance personnel
- Other technical individuals
Expert Course Faculty
Your specialist course leader has more than 32 years of practical engineering experience with Ontario Power Generation (OPG), one of the largest electric utility in North America. He was previously involved in research on power generation equipment with Atomic Energy of Canada Limited at their Chalk River and Whiteshell Nuclear Research Laboratories.
While working at OPG, he acted as a Training Manager, Engineering Supervisor, System Responsible Engineer and Design Engineer. During the period of time, he worked as a Field Engineer and Design Engineer, he was responsible for the operation, maintenance, diagnostics, and testing of gas turbines, steam turbines, generators, motors, transformers, inverters, valves, pumps, compressors, instrumentation and control systems. Further, his responsibilities included designing, engineering, diagnosing equipment problems and recommending solutions to repair deficiencies and improve system performance, supervising engineers, setting up preventive maintenance programs, writing Operating and Design Manuals, and commissioning new equipment.
Later, he worked as the manager of a section dedicated to providing training for the staff at the power stations. The training provided by him covered in detail the various equipment and systems used in power stations.
In addition, he has taught courses and seminars to more than four thousand working engineers and professionals around the world, specifically Europe and North America. He has been consistently ranked as “Excellent” or “Very Good” by the delegates who attended his seminars and lectures.
He written 5 books for working engineers from which 3 have been published by McGraw-Hill, New York. Below is a list of the books authored by him;
- Power Generation Handbook: Gas Turbines, Steam Power Plants, Co-generation, and Combined Cycles, second edition, (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, October 2011.
- Electrical Equipment Handbook (600 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, March 2003.
- Power Plant Equipment Operation and Maintenance Guide (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, January 2012.
- Industrial Instrumentation and Modern Control Systems (400 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
- Industrial Equipment (600 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
Furthermore, he has received the following awards:
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by PowerEdge, Singapore, in December 2016
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by the Professional Development Center at University of Toronto (May, 1996).
- The “Excellence in Teaching Award” in April 2007 offered by TUV Akademie (TUV Akademie is one of the largest Professional Development centre in world, it is based in Germany and the United Arab Emirates, and provides engineering training to engineers and managers across Europe and the Middle East).
- Awarded graduation “With Distinction” from Dalhousie University when completed Bachelor of Engineering degree (1983).
Lastly, he was awarded his Bachelor of Engineering Degree “with distinction” from Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. He also received a Master of Applied Science in Engineering (M.A.Sc.) from the University of Ottawa, Canada. He is also a member of the Association of Professional Engineers in the province of Ontario, Canada.
TOPICS TO BE COVERED
Types and Construction of Transformers
Transformer Component Selection
Transformer Quality Assurance
Transformer Best Maintenance Practices
Expected Problems in Transformers
Core/Winding Movement Tests
Transformer Routine Tests
Commissioning of Transformers
This training course will be conducted as a Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT). Delegates will receive a confirmation email after successful registration.
Soft copy course materials & Certification of Completion will be provided to registered participants.
Unique Features with powerEDGE Training
- Pre-Course Questionnaire (PCQ) to help us focus on your learning objectives
- Detailed course & reference manual for continuous learning and sharing
- Practical exercises & case examples to better understand the principles
- Limited class size to ensure one-to-one interactivity
- Assessment at the end of the course to help you develop a personal action plan