COAL: PIT TO PORT TO POWER
25 – 27 June 2018, Manila, Philippines
The course is generally applicable to anyone who would like to understand more about coal, including mining engineers, geologists, administrators, executives, potential investors in coal projects, and financial analysts. The course is designed to be particularly accessible to young professionals, and those who may already have a different background and wish to understand more about this important international resource
- Understand the historical development of coal and the peculiarities of the SE Asian scene relative to the international experience.
- Understand the key parameters that make or break a coal project.
- Learn the essential science behind coal.
- Understand the relationship between water and gas in coal and the implications.
- Understand mining methods, and why one type may be more suitable than another.
- Comprehend the practicalities of material handling with coal, and the holistic pit to port (mine to harbour) system.
- Learn what greenhouse emissions and a warming world mean for the coal industry.
- Comprehend the differences between resources and reserves and the requirements to move resources to reserves.
- Understand the basic economic drivers behind coal projects.
- Learn how to undertake due diligence on a coal project.
- Participate in practical discussions and exercises that enhance practical understanding
Course Faculty - Scott Thomson
CoalBed Energy Consultants
Scott Thomson is a geologist with over 40 years’ experience in the coal mining and energy industries. He has held leadership roles in industry and has worked as a consultant to the Coal Bed Methane (CBM) and coal mining industry for the past 20 years. He has been a Managing Director of a leading directional drilling service and technology supply company, and a Research Leader in coal seam gas associated with a major Australian CRC.
Scott is a Managing Director of CoalBed Energy Consultants , which provides project management, technical services, business development, due diligence, and consulting services in coal mining, CBM (CSG), Coal Mine Methane (CMM), drilling, fugitive emissions and related areas. CoalBed counts in its client list all of the major mining companies in Australia, and many CBM players. Scott and his son Duncan, have developed popular training courses in Coal Mining Fundamentals, CBM Fundamentals, CBM production and completion, and drilling which have been delivered to a range of clients in Australia and overseas.
CoalBed have developed unique skills in the evaluation of fugitive emissions from shallow open cut mining operations and act as Estimators for companies reporting to the National Greenhouse Officer for Carbon Tax compliance. The company also manages surface to inseam directional drilling programs for geological exploration and degasification, and have developed expertise in the use of directional drilling data for improved geological modelling.
Scott has worked in most of the major coal seam gas basins throughout the world, and assisted with technology transfer of advanced directional drilling technology into emerging markets such as China, India, South Africa, Central-Asia and Easter Europe. Recent related experience includes developing projects in Indonesia, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, South America and Southern Africa.
Scott is the author of a number of papers that have been published in a range of journals and proceedings, and was also a co-recipient of the prestigious Stefanko Award for best paper at the 2007 SME Conference in Denver, CO, USA for a paper titled “A Petroleum Industry Approach to Coal Mine Drainage”.
He holds a BSc in Geology from the University of Newcastle, an MSc in Geology from the University of New England and an MBA from Deakin University. He is a member of the Geological Society of Australia and the Society of Petroleum Engineers.
“This course, as long as it is handled by Scott, will give any professional in the coal industry useful insights to how the fuel gets to our doorstep.” – President and COO, Aboitiz Power
“It is a good introductory course of mining and production of coal.”– Analyst, YTL Power International
“This training will really help me perform better as a Coal Procurement person in our company. Everything discussed is new knowledge to me.” – Coal Commodity Manager, Aboitiz Power
“The course training is very good and highly recommended.” – Engineer, Tenaga Nasional Berhad
Unique Features with powerEDGE Training
• Pre-Course Questionnaire to help us focus on your learning objectives
• Detailed Course & Reference Manual for Continuous Learning and Sharing
• Practical Exercises & Case Examples to better understand the principles
• Limited class size to ensure One-to-One Interactivity
• Assessment at the end of the course to help you develop a Personal Action Plan