PROJECT DEVELOPMENT AND EPC CONTRACT MANAGEMENT FOR
POWER & UTILITIES
10 - 11 DECEMBER 2018, KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA
About The Course
This course is to help you make major power projects successful. The saying “Training costs less than having to learn the hard way” is precisely relevant here. The aim is to save project costs. The main themes that will be presented and discussed are as follows:
- Business executives and project managers are grappling with challenging business environments and 20 years legacy of overrunning projects
- Recently reported outcome data on 100 of the largest power projects, showed an average of 35% cost overruns, and an average of 25 months delay – Ernst & Young Global, 2016
- The estimated annual USD 30 billion global capital cost inefficiency, plus ROI production loss, plus dispute cost is “absolute waste”.
- Progressive management is ready to change business cultures. Clients need to buy-in as primary drivers in their supply chain.
- This course recommends currently trending actionable and economic solutions requiring some time and relatively inexpensive expertise
- The purpose of well-designed contracts: is to provide the ‘spine’ underpinning business governance and project management disciplines. The contract and related project development work is “preventative medicine” to cure project overruns
- Pre-Contract: Indispensable techniques, methodologies and organizational practices for project risk management, selecting “optimized” contract strategies, and to prepare well-designed and usable contracts that support successful business outcomes
- Post-Contract: Practical advice on how to set up an effective contract admin organisations, which procedures to establish, how to ingrain “contract smart practice” into the project team. When to issue notices, and any extensions of time per contract entitlements. Effective claims evaluation methodologies and dispute settlement practices
Who Should Attend
Executive decision makers, project management, commercial, engineering and construction personnel from Power & Utilities industry including:
- Project Directors, Company General Managers, Chief Executive Officers
- Commercial Managers, Business Managers, Chief Financial Officers
- Project Managers and Construction Managers
- Design Managers and Project Engineers
- Contract Managers and Contract Engineers, Quantity Surveyors
- Project Controls Managers and Planning Engineers;
- Legal Professionals working in the energy construction industry
He is a contracts specialist in energy, power and utilities construction. Over a 29‐year period, he has worked for contractors and consultants on construction projects encompassing CCGT, coal-fired and nuclear power plants, and wastewater treatment and tunneling projects in Asia, Europe and the Caribbean. In the recent past, he has worked on contract and claims management of energy construction projects on Singapore’s Jurong Island. Prior to his current role, he was previously a Contract Manager for Siemens Power Generation and a Lead Contracts Engineer for Foster Wheeler. He is a delivery-focused expert who understands the interaction between complex engineering processes and the contractual and commercial implications. He believes in a systematic common sense approach. He graduated with degree in civil engineering in 1987 and qualified as a Chartered Civil Engineer in 1992. He then specialised in contract management / consultancy, and in 2000 graduated with a second degree in law. He is a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers (UK), Association of Project Management (UK), Society of Construction Law (Singapore), and Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Singapore).
“Excellent material and content. Many tips and tricks hidden throughout the course. The breadth of topics covered in only three days is appreciated.” – ASST VP, ABOLITZ POWER CORPORATION, MANILA
“Very knowledgeable. Trainers made a complex subject look simple with a lot of examples and group activity throughout.” – PROJECT ENGINEER, TENAGA NASIONAL BERHAD
“The course is helpful as it has identified many useful points for contract management, identified the challenges and how to deal effectively with the various issues.” – PROJECT ENGINEER, TUAS POWER UTILITIES PTE LTD.
“Excellent material/content. Many tips & hidden throughout the course. The breadth of topics covered in only three days is appreciated. It helps the participants think about what specific alias to work on / deep dive on for future learning opportunities” – ASSISTANT PROJECT DEVELOPMENT, ABOITIZ POWER
“Good training which provides a complete ‘walk-through’ of projects and incorporates best practice workshops.” – PROJECT MANAGER, PETRON MALAYSIA DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
This training course has a limited attendance for up to 20 participants only. Sessions commence at 9am on all days, with short intervals at 10.30am and 3.30pm respectively. Refreshments will be provided in the short intervals. Lunch will be provided at 12:30pm for 1 hour. Sessions will end at 5pm on all days.
Unique Features with powerEDGE Training
• Pre-Course Questionnaire to help us focus on your learning objectives
• Detailed Course & Reference Manual for Continuous Learning and Sharing
• Practical Exercises & Case Examples to better understand the principles
• Limited class size to ensure One-to-One Interactivity
• Assessment at the end of the course to help you develop a Personal Action Plan