UNDERGROUND HV SUBSTATION DESIGN
24 – 28 SEPTEMBER 2018, SINGAPORE
About The Course
HV Substations play an important role in the electric power systems. Specific requirements are set for underground substations which are mainly designed in city centers where land, if available, is sold at a premium and it is often the only feasible way to construct it. The most common underground substation types are for major BSP and distribution substations within the DNO as well as substations supplying underground metros or business and commercial canters.
Properly planned and designed substation is essential for reliable operation of a power system network. A new substation should be built to meet the requirements of the growing load and operation under the changing competitive markets. Upgrading of the existing substations would require a comprehensive knowledge of the substation as well as the overall power system. Specific requirements associated with underground installation are addressed in this course with practical examples of resolving technical challenges such as increase heating due to the electrical load and subsequent losses, planned and unplanned maintenance and provision for quick and effective equipment replacement. Safety requests include explosion and fire hazard, fire escape routes, cable routes describing the mitigating measures and specification for this environment.
This course covers all aspects of medium and high voltage substation design with the particular focus on underground substations including regulatory requirements and general design considerations from feasibility through technical specification and tendering to the detail design. A practical understanding of planning, design, technical specification application and a step by step approach of the underground substation design process is explained as well as design documentation for each design stage.
Health & safety and environmental issues relevant for the underground substation design are covered in this comprehensive course.
- Learn the latest criteria and practical techniques for the design of Underground HV substations
- Understand a step by step approach of the substation design process from initial site survey, underground substation concept, technical specification to the detail design of equipment
- Gain knowledge of the technical requirements, configuration philosophies
- Gain knowledge of design practices and work processes
- Learn how to specify equipment for a new underground substation
- Learn how to manage the underground substation design
- Have a comprehensive understanding of specific substation components
- Gain knowledge of underground substation layout and busbar design
- Help engineers and technicians to work with confidence to ensure continuous supply with complete reliability by minimizing interruptions
- Understand the safety considerations of underground substations
- Understand the environmental aspects of underground substation design and critical factors involved
- Gain knowledge of reliability considerations and maintenance considerations in the design stage
- Understand the technical aspects involved in the selection of major equipment in underground substations
- Gain knowledge of specific substation earthing design
- Understand design documentation from general arrangement to schematic diagrams
- Learn how to manage the design
Who Should Attend
Course Faculty - Vukan Polimac
In his 30 years working experience he provided highest quality services in system planning and analysis to major transmission and distribution and transportation companies including London Underground, National Grid Company (UK), MTRC Metro in Hong Kong, West Coast Main Line connection to NG, Scottish Power, ESB-Ireland, ESKOM-South Africa, Mauritius CEB, Balkan countries – grids of Romania and former Yugoslavia, HV network ISA-Colombia, Western Power Distribution-UK, etc.
Vukan’s technical expertise includes most aspects of power systems analysis, electrical asset management and railway connections to power networks where he provides solutions to technical problems and supports other field’s experts in complex assignments. He has project management skills in technical and environmental projects as well as experience in short and long-strategic term planning, maintenance and asset management, power quality analysis of transmission and generation systems, distribution, transportation and other power networks. Experienced in generation and network integration, electrical component of energy master plans as well as strategic asset replacement, he was also involved in load- forecast analysis and generation dispatching. Published papers on asset management based on projects and experience in working for distribution companies in Africa and Europe.
Underground Substations Overview
Planning New Underground Substations
S/S Design Overview
S/S Feasibility of Underground SS Design
Technical Specification for an Underground SS
Health & Safety in Underground Projects
Unique Features with powerEDGE Training
• Pre-Course Questionnaire to help us focus on your learning objectives
• Detailed Course & Reference Manual for Continuous Learning and Sharing
• Practical Exercises & Case Examples to better understand the principles
• Limited class size to ensure One-to-One Interactivity
• Assessment at the end of the course to help you develop a Personal Action Plan