DISTRIBUTED CONTROL SYSTEMS AND SMART TECHNOLOGY
Selection, Applications, Operation, Troubleshooting and Diagnostics
28 – 30 NOVEMBER 2016, SINGAPORE
About The Course
This seminar will provide a comprehensive understanding of distributed control systems (DCSs), and smart technology. The seminar will focus on all the advanced features and advantages of DCS’s including optimization of control strategies, enhancement of performance and reliability, two-way communication, remote diagnostics and troubleshooting, reduction in instrumentation and control cables, telemetry, minimization of instrumentation and control equipment cost, etc. This seminar will also provide an in-depth understanding of the design of all modern control systems as well as all their instrumentation and equipment. All the methods used to enhance control system performance, reliability, robustness, speed of response and minimize wear and tear of control system components will be covered thoroughly. The seminar will also provide a thorough understanding of all types of control valves, actuators, and their accessories. The sizing and selection process of all types of control valves and actuators will be covered thoroughly. This includes all the calculations, materials used in this equipment, elastomers, packing materials and designs, cavitation and noise control methods, etc. All the applicable non-destructive tests and troubleshooting methods for control valves and actuators will also be covered in detail in this seminar. Several examples of sizing control valves and actuators for liquid and compressible fluid applications will be performed during the seminar. The main focus in this seminar will be on maximizing the efficiency, reliability, and longevity of these systems and equipment by providing an understanding of the characteristics, selection criteria, common problems and repair techniques, preventive and predictive maintenance.
This seminar is a MUST for anyone who is involved in the selection, applications, or maintenance of modern instrumentation and control systems, distributed control systems (DCSs), Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition Systems (SCADA), control valves, actuators, and smart technology because it covers how these systems and equipment operate, the latest maintenance techniques, and provides guidelines and rules that ensure their successful operation. In addition, this seminar will cover in detail the basic design, operating characteristics, specification, selection criteria, advanced fault detection techniques, critical components and all preventive and predictive maintenance methods in order to increase the reliability of these systems and equipment and reduce their operation and maintenance cost
This seminar will provide the following information for modern control systems, distributed control systems (DCSs), SCADA, control valves, actuators, and smart technology:
- Basic Design
- Selection Criteria
- Sizing Calculations
- Enclosures and Sealing Arrangements
- Codes and Standards
- Common Operational Problems
- All Diagnostics, Troubleshooting, Testing, and Maintenance
Practical applications of smart instrumentation, and Distributed Control Systems, control valves, actuators, etc in the following industries will be discussed in detail:
- Chemical and petrochemical
- Power generation
- Pulp and paper
- Water and sewage treatment
- Electrical power grids
- Environmental monitoring and control systems
The instructor will guide the delegates during the seminar to do the following:
- Design distributed control systems for the chemical, petro-chemical, and power generation industries
- Size and select the smart instrumentation, control valves, and actuators for these control systems
- Troubleshoot and repair these control systems
The seminar will focus on the following:
- Strategies used to enhance the performance of modern distributed control systems and smart instrumentation as well as reduce their capital, operation and maintenance costs
- Techniques used to increase the reliability and enhance the performance of distributed control systems and smart instrumentation as well as reduce the failure rate of their components and plant downtime
- Methods used to minimize plant upsets and failures due to disturbances
Following the seminar, individuals will be able to do the following:
- Design modern distributed control systems for all industrial applications
- Select all the smart instrumentation and equipment required for Distributed Control Systems
- Operate, diagnose, troubleshoot and repair all distributed control systems equipment including smart instrumentation, processors, control valves, and actuators
Who Should Attend
- Engineers of all disciplines
- Maintenance personnel
- Other technical individuals
Course Faculty - Philip Kiameh
Has more than 32 years of practical engineering experience with Ontario Power Generation as an Engineering Supervisor and Training Manager, has conduct courses and seminars, to more than 4,000 working engineers and professionals who consistently ranked him as “Excellent” or “Very Good”. Philip has also wrote 5 books for working engineers from which three have been published by McGraw-Hill, New York.
Philip Kiameh, M.A.Sc., B.Eng., D.Eng., P.Eng. (Canada) has been a teacher at University of Toronto and Dalhousie University, Canada for more than 25 years. In addition, Prof Kiameh has taught courses and seminars to more than four thousand working engineers and professionals around the world, specifically Europe and North America. Prof Kiameh has been consistently ranked as “Excellent” or “Very Good” by the delegates who attended his seminars and lectures.
Prof Kiameh wrote 5 books for working engineers from which three have been published by McGraw-Hill, New York. Below is a list of the books authored by Prof Kiameh:
1- Power Generation Handbook: Gas Turbines, Steam Power Plants, Co-generation, and Combined Cycles, second edition, (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, October 2011.
2- Electrical Equipment Handbook (600 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, March 2003.
3- Power Plant Equipment Operation and Maintenance Guide (800 pages), McGraw-Hill, New York, January 2012.
4- Industrial Instrumentation and Modern Control Systems (400 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
5- Industrial Equipment (600 pages), Custom Publishing, University of Toronto, University of Toronto, University of Toronto Custom Publishing (1999).
Prof. Kiameh has received the following awards:
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by Poweredge Pte Ltd Training Center, Singapore, December 2016
- The first “Excellence in Teaching” award offered by the Professional Development Center at University of Toronto (May, 1996).
- The “Excellence in Teaching Award” in April 2007 offered by TUV Akademie (TUV Akademie is one of the largest Professional Development centre in world, it is based in Germany and the United Arab Emirates, and provides engineering training to engineers and managers across Europe and the Middle East).
- Awarded graduation “With Distinction” from Dalhousie University when completed Bachelor of Engineering degree (1983).
- Entrance Scholarship to University of Ottawa (1984).
- Natural Science and Engineering Research Counsel (NSERC) scholarship towards Graduate studies – Master of Applied Science in Engineering (1984 – 1985).
Prof. Kiameh performed research on power generation equipment with Atomic Energy of Canada Limited at their Chalk River and Whiteshell Nuclear Research Laboratories. He also has more than 32 years of practical engineering experience with Ontario Power Generation (OPG – formerly, Ontario Hydro – the largest electric utility in North America). Prof. Kiameh retired from OPG in November 2016.
While working at Ontario Hydro, Prof. Kiameh acted as a Training Manager, Engineering Supervisor, System Responsible Engineer and Design Engineer. During the period of time that Prof Kiameh worked as a Field Engineer and Design Engineer, he was responsible for the operation, maintenance, diagnostics, and testing of gas turbines, steam turbines, generators, motors, transformers, inverters, valves, pumps, compressors, instrumentation and control systems. Further, his responsibilities included designing, engineering, diagnosing equipment problems and recommending solutions to repair deficiencies and improve system performance, supervising engineers, setting up preventive maintenance programs, writing Operating and Design Manuals, and commissioning new equipment.
Later, Prof Kiameh worked as the manager of a section dedicated to providing training for the staff at the power stations. The training provided by Prof Kiameh covered in detail the various equipment and systems used in power stations.
Professor Philip Kiameh was awarded his Bachelor of Engineering Degree “with distinction” from Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. He also received a Master of Applied Science in Engineering (M.A.Sc.) from the University of Ottawa, Canada. He is also a member of the Association of Professional Engineers in the province of Ontario, Canada.
Review of Control System Fundamentals, Control System Design, Applications of Control Systems in the Chemical, Aerospace, and Power Generation industries, Proportional-Integral-Derivative control, Strategies to Optimize Control System Performance
Distributed Control Systems (DCS) Architecture, Features, Advantages, Communication Protocols, Human-Machine Interface, Processors, Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) System, Smart Instrumentation, Remote diagnostics and troubleshooting
Intelligent (Smart) Transmitters, Controllers, Sizing and Selection of Control Valves, Positioners, and Actuator for Compressible and Non-Compressible Fluids, Control Valve Flashing, Cavitation and Noise Control, Control System Troubleshooting and Diagnostics
This training course has a limited attendance for up to 20 participants only. Sessions commence at 9am on all days, with short intervals at 10.30am and 3.30pm respectively. Refreshments will be provided in the short intervals. Lunch will be provided at 12:30pm for 1 hour. Sessions will end at 5pm on all days.
Unique Features with powerEDGE Training
• Pre-Course Questionnaire to help us focus on your learning objectives
• Detailed Course & Reference Manual for Continuous Learning and Sharing
• Practical Exercises & Case Examples to better understand the principles
• Limited class size to ensure One-to-One Interactivity
• Assessment at the end of the course to help you develop a Personal Action Plan